Happy Sunday, South Carolina fans. This season’s first SEC win is in the books, as was the Gamecocks’ first without Steve Spurrier on the sidelines. Shawn Elliott is now 1-0 as South Carolina’s head coach.
Here are four things to know:
- Shawn Elliott: “This team didn’t bat an eye”. After a week of adversity, Elliott said his team responded.
- South Carolina celebrates after first SEC win. There was no champagne, but it was still a big moment for the Gamecocks.
- ESPN releases tribute video to Steve Spurrier. A testament to arguably the greatest smack talker college football has ever seen.
- Steve Spurrier on ESPN College GameDay: My tank was empty, resignation was “inevitable.” Head Ball Coach showed an openness to joining a high school team or being a college assistant.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- ESPN’s Alex Scarborough writes South Carolina begins new era without Spurrier in win over Vanderbilt. Given the week leading up to the game, it stands as a signature win.
- The Oklahoma Daily’s Brady Vardeman writes that Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops didn’t wear his visor to honor Spurrier. Stoops was Spurrier’s defensive coordinator at Florida, and credited Auburn coach Gus Malzahn for the idea.
Best stories around the SEC
- Hugh Freeze: “We’re obviously not locked in totally”. (Clearly, Memphis took advantage)
- Shawn Elliott waves visor to honor Steve Spurrier before leading South Carolina onto the field (Fortunately, he didn’t wear it)
- UGA and Missouri alumni engage in Twitter war before Saturday’s game (If only they could suit up, too)