Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans.
Rivalry week is upon us, and that was the theme as players and interim coach Shawn Elliott met with the media Tuesday for the Gamecocks’ weekly press conference.
Here are five things to know:
- Former South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw called out the Gamecocks on Twitter. Shaw wants more effort from players and more loyalty from the fans.
- Elliott: It wouldn’t “shock the world” to think South Carolina will beat No. 1 Clemson. The interim coach can see it happening and doesn’t think the rest of the world would be all that surprised.
- Recruiting has been business as usual for Elliott. Despite a few setbacks on the recruiting trail, the team is continuing its efforts.
- South Carolina athletic director denied a report of an agreement on the next Gamecocks head coach. Sportstalksc.com reported Houston’s Tom Herman was in line to take over at South Carolina.
- Report: A top South Carolina playmaker will not be returning next season. Junior wide receiver Pharoh Cooper leads the team in receiving in 2015.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- AL.com’s Mark Heim ranked the current coaching vacancies around college football. Spoiler alert: South Carolina ranks fourth behind USC, Miami and Virginia Tech.
- Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde took a look at the college football coaching carousel. Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is a name that has resurfaced as a fit for the Gamecocks.