5 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Friday, South Carolina fans.
It appears that South Carolina has taken another step forward in hiring a new coach, as interviews are reportedly underway. That has also impacted the Gamecocks on the recruiting trail.
Here are five things to know:
- “All signs continue to point to” Will Muschamp coaching South Carolina. Reports indicate that Muschamp is the favorite, despite a growing list of candidates interviewing for the job.
- South Carolina quarterback commit Brandon McIlwain is keeping his options open until a new coach is hired. Penn State and Cal are both making a push for the 4-star dual-threat quarterback.
- Muschamp and Lincoln Riley are reportedly interviewing for South Carolina job. A decision could be made by as early as this weekend.
- Cal coach Sonny Dykes has reportedly been in contact with South Carolina about the opening. Dykes helped Cal reach a bowl game this past season for the first time since 2011.
- Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez and former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano have both reportedly met with South Carolina officials about the coaching vacancy. Rodriguez coached at Michigan and West Virginia, and was also Clemson’s offensive coordinator from 1999-2000. Schiano coached Rutgers from 2001-11 and was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012 and 2013.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- The Associated Press reports that South Carolina took down an 80-foot banner of former coach Steve Spurrier. As the Gamecocks continue the search for their next coach, they first had to do away with a symbol of the previous era.
- The State’s Josh Kendall reports Shawn Elliott received a formal interview for the South Carolina coaching job. Elliott went 1-5 after taking over for Spurrier midseason.