6 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Thanksgiving, South Carolina fans. It’s Rivalry Week, and we’re less than 48 hours away from kickoff against Clemson. However, much of the news regarding the Gamecocks involves off-the-field news.
Here are six things to know:
- Report: Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is the front-runner for the South Carolina job. Smart has been connected to a handful of SEC coaching jobs, but has been oft-linked with the Gamecocks.
- South Carolina announced uniforms for the Clemson game. It’s the first time the Gamecocks have worn this combination this season.
- Report: Tom Herman is no longer a candidate at South Carolina. Herman and the university underwent third-party negotiations, but Herman backed out of the running.
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney: Steve Spurrier was “one of the best to ever walk the sidelines.” The Head Ball Coach won’t be a part of the Clemson-South Carolina game for the first time since 2004.
- South Carolina and Clemson are playing for a new Palmetto Bowl trophy. The new trophy is all silver and features each university’s logo decked in the school’s’ colors.
- South Carolina burnt a giant Clemson mascot at “Tiger Burn.” The university’s annual tradition helped the team put aside a loss to The Citadel last week.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- Greenville Online’s Mandrallius Robinson wrote No. 1 Clemson and South Carolina are on opposite ends of the spectrum entering their annual showdown. The second-longest rivalry in the nation features the nation’s top-ranked team against the Gamecocks, who have dropped four in a row.
- The State’s Josh Kendall wrote the Gamecocks have cleared the air after the loss to The Citadel. Among the ways the Gamecocks got over it was a trip to Tiger Burn.