Happy Thanksgiving, South Carolina fans. It’s Rivalry Week, and we’re less than 48 hours away from kickoff against Clemson. However, much of the news regarding the Gamecocks involves off-the-field news.
Here are six things to know:
- Report: Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is the front-runner for the South Carolina job. Smart has been connected to a handful of SEC coaching jobs, but has been oft-linked with the Gamecocks.
- South Carolina announced uniforms for the Clemson game. It’s the first time the Gamecocks have worn this combination this season.
- Report: Tom Herman is no longer a candidate at South Carolina. Herman and the university underwent third-party negotiations, but Herman backed out of the running.
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney: Steve Spurrier was “one of the best to ever walk the sidelines.” The Head Ball Coach won’t be a part of the Clemson-South Carolina game for the first time since 2004.
- South Carolina and Clemson are playing for a new Palmetto Bowl trophy. The new trophy is all silver and features each university’s logo decked in the school’s’ colors.
- South Carolina burnt a giant Clemson mascot at “Tiger Burn.” The university’s annual tradition helped the team put aside a loss to The Citadel last week.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- Greenville Online’s Mandrallius Robinson wrote No. 1 Clemson and South Carolina are on opposite ends of the spectrum entering their annual showdown. The second-longest rivalry in the nation features the nation’s top-ranked team against the Gamecocks, who have dropped four in a row.
- The State’s Josh Kendall wrote the Gamecocks have cleared the air after the loss to The Citadel. Among the ways the Gamecocks got over it was a trip to Tiger Burn.