6 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Tuesday, South Carolina fans. With the school’s football season over and done with, the attention has shifted toward who will be the next Gamecocks coach.
Here are six things to know:
- If Mark Richt joined South Carolina, it would make for awesome storylines. Richt and UGA split ways Sunday.
- Larry Fedora and Dan Mullen were reportedly added to South Carolina’s list of possible candidates. Fedora has led North Carolina to the ACC championship game, while Mullen is one of the hotter SEC coaches.
- Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is reportedly “getting consideration” for the South Carolina opening. Muschamp has spent 13 years coaching in the SEC.
- SEC coaching target Tom Herman has reportedly agreed to remain at his current job in Houston.
- Former Tennessee running back Treyvon Paulk has interest in South Carolina and unofficially visited during last weekend’s game against Clemson.
- South Carolina’s comeback against UCF cost an Orlando bar 15,000 free beers this season. The Gamecocks rallied from a halftime deficit to push the Knights to 0-4, which spurred the bar to offer the promotion.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- The State’s Josh Kendall writes that if South Carolina can get a coach like Richt, it should hold on to him for a long time. Richt averaged 9.6 wins in 15 seasons at UGA and captured two SEC championships.
- The Associated Press’ Ralph D. Russo ranked college football’s coaching openings. Of the 14 openings in FBS, he placed South Carolina third behind UGA and Miami.