6 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans.
Will Muschamp has started to the put his touch on the South Carolina coaching staff, bringing along two assistant coaches from Auburn to Columbia, S.C.
Here are six things to know:
- Muschamp contacted the mother of No. 1 recruit Rashan Gary after being called a “pure liar.” Muschamp tried to repair his relationship with Jennifer Coney, the mother of the 5-star defensive tackle, after telling the family he’d be Auburn’s defensive coordinator for the long haul.
- Travaris Robinson and Bobby Bentley were officially named to the South Carolina coaching staff. Robinson, who was Muschamp’s defensive backs coach at Florida from 2011-14 and again at Auburn in 2015, will be the Gamecocks’ defensive coordinator. Bentley, who was at Auburn the past two seasons, will be the running backs coach.
- Muschamp may have easiest path to success among new SEC East coaches. Much of that has to do with South Carolina’s upcoming schedules, which do not include many of the major conference powers until 2018.
- Steve Spurrier on Muschamp: “I’m sure he learned a lot and he’s ready to go.” Muschamp said he received a message from the former South Carolina coach and planned to take the Head Ball Coach’s advice.
- South Carolina junior wide receiver Pharoh Cooper was named to the Coaches All-SEC Team. Linebacker Skai Moore earned Second-Team honors.
- The nation’s top junior college cornerback set an official visit for South Carolina. Jamarcus King will receive an in-home visit from Arkansas before meeting with Muschamp and Robinson this week.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- The Lexington Herald Leader’s John Clay writes that defensive coordinators have become hot SEC coaching hires. Kirby Smart, Barry Odom and Muschamp all became head coaches this offseason at UGA, Missouri and South Carolina, respectively.
- ESPN.com’s Greg Ostendorf reviewed the 2015 South Carolina season. Ostendorf calls the best moment when Muschamp retained interim coach Shawn Elliott, and the worst moment, the loss to The Citadel.