7 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans. Interim coach Shawn Elliott and members of the Gamecocks football team met with the media Tuesday in advance of Saturday’s Halloween showdown with Texas A&M.
Here are seven things to know:
- South Carolina to wear “Stormtroopers” uniforms vs. Texas A&M. The Gamecocks last went with the all-white look against Clemson last season.
- Brandon Wilds says team “bounced back pretty quick” after Steve Spurrier resigned. And by quick, the redshirt senior running back meant the very next day.
- Shawn Elliott on Myles Garrett: “I don’t know if you stop a guy like that.” Garrett is a sophomore defensive end and a quarterfinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy.
- South Carolina kicker Elliott Fry’s dad is a Texas A&M fan. Fry, by the way, grew up rooting for the Longhorns.
- Shawn Elliott won’t rule out using multiple quarterbacks vs. Texas A&M. Perry Orth will start, but Lorenzo Nunez and Connor Mitch could both see action.
- South Carolina’s quest for bowl eligibility begins with Texas A&M. The Gamecocks need three wins over their final five games to be eligible.
- Shawn Elliott: “Every single day I’m being interviewed” for the South Carolina job. Elliott believes his press conferences, practices and time as interim coach all make a difference.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel suggests the South Carolina job is a middle tier opening along with Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. Additionally, Thamel indicates there’s a “sneaky rebuild facet” to the job.
- The State’s Josh Kendall writes that South Carolina’s third-down statistics are lying. The Gamecocks rank 11th in the SEC in third-down conversions. Comparatively speaking, Alabama and Florida rank 12th and ninth, respectively.