Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans. Interim coach Shawn Elliott and members of the Gamecocks football team met with the media Tuesday in advance of Saturday’s Halloween showdown with Texas A&M.
Here are seven things to know:
- South Carolina to wear “Stormtroopers” uniforms vs. Texas A&M. The Gamecocks last went with the all-white look against Clemson last season.
- Brandon Wilds says team “bounced back pretty quick” after Steve Spurrier resigned. And by quick, the redshirt senior running back meant the very next day.
- Shawn Elliott on Myles Garrett: “I don’t know if you stop a guy like that.” Garrett is a sophomore defensive end and a quarterfinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy.
- South Carolina kicker Elliott Fry’s dad is a Texas A&M fan. Fry, by the way, grew up rooting for the Longhorns.
- Shawn Elliott won’t rule out using multiple quarterbacks vs. Texas A&M. Perry Orth will start, but Lorenzo Nunez and Connor Mitch could both see action.
- South Carolina’s quest for bowl eligibility begins with Texas A&M. The Gamecocks need three wins over their final five games to be eligible.
- Shawn Elliott: “Every single day I’m being interviewed” for the South Carolina job. Elliott believes his press conferences, practices and time as interim coach all make a difference.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel suggests the South Carolina job is a middle tier opening along with Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. Additionally, Thamel indicates there’s a “sneaky rebuild facet” to the job.
- The State’s Josh Kendall writes that South Carolina’s third-down statistics are lying. The Gamecocks rank 11th in the SEC in third-down conversions. Comparatively speaking, Alabama and Florida rank 12th and ninth, respectively.