Rich Rodriguez will not be the next South Carolina coach, though his current athletic director said the Gamecocks made him an offer.
Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne tweeted Saturday that Rodriguez did not accept an offer from South Carolina and will remain the Wildcats coach. Rodriguez also confirmed his commitment to Arizona. Yahoo Sports writer Pat Forde and Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports also reported that Rodriguez spurned the Gamecocks.
Rich Rodriguez "did not commit to the offer" per tweet from AZ AD Greg Byrne. I'm told RR "didn't feel like it was the right thing."
— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) December 6, 2015
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 6, 2015
A report earlier in the day Saturday from 247sports said South Carolina would “set its sights” on Rodriguez if the Gamecocks could not secure a deal with Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp. If Rodriguez turned the Gamecocks down, does that mean Muschamp did as well? 247sports refuted the reports about the offer.
South Carolina did not offer Rich Rodriguez its head coaching job. All signs continue to point toward Will Muschamp.
— JC Shurburtt (@jcshurburtt) December 6, 2015
There certainly have been plenty of twists and turns as South Carolina looks for a coach to replace Steve Spurrier. Stay tuned.
- Report: South Carolina to name a new coach this weekend
- Report: Potential South Carolina coach reaches out to Marcus Lattimore
- Report: “All signs continue to point to” Will Muschamp coaching South Carolina
- Report: Will Muschamp, Lincoln Riley interviewing for South Carolina job
- Report: South Florida coach interviewing for South Carolina job
- Interim coach Shawn Elliott confident after South Carolina interview