Chicken & Waffles. Your new favorite dish for all things Gamecocks. Grab a cup of joe and hide your screen from your boss as we fill you in on everything happening in the world of South Carolina athletics. Get your Chicken & Waffles right here, Monday through Friday.
What they’re saying about South Carolina’s 31-21 win over Mizzou
— SEC Country SC (@SECCountrySC) November 6, 2016
Many were impressed by South Carolina’s performance in its 31-21 win over Missouri on Saturday, especially the performances of several young playmakers:
“Don’t look now, but the Gamecocks are heating up. That’s three wins in a row for Will Muschamp & Co. as they beat Missouri 31-21. The Gamecocks are 3-0 since making the switch to QB Jake Bentley, and he threw for 254 yards and two touchdowns on Saturday. The running game is going, and the defense has yet to allow 30 points (one of only six teams with that distinction),” wrote ESPN’s Sam Khan Jr.
As enamored as ESPN’s SEC bloggers seem to be with the Gamecocks, they still kept USC at No. 12 (!) in their SEC power rankings. A testament to the conference’s strength, I guess.
The Associated Press has high praise for the Gamecocks on both sides of the ball:
Bentley looks like the real deal for the Gamecocks, which makes you wonder why they waited so long to play the true freshman. The defense, which hasn’t allowed an opponent to score 30 points all season, can hang with anyone.
In just three short weeks, South Carolina seems to have shed the stink of its 2-4 record to start the year. While the upset win over Tennessee may have put more eyes on USC, South Carolina fans have seen steady improvement week over week.
“The Gamecocks have righted the ship,” declares Christopher Novak from Team Speed Kills.
“After looking listless not too long ago following a 28-14 loss to Georgia, it’s a credit to this team and the coaching staff for being able to pile up these last three wins in succession. It is likely to pay dividends big time,” Novak continues.
Even Booger McFarland, originally not a fan of removing Bentley’s redshirt, has come around on the Bentley-led Gamecocks.
S Carolina- Bentley fever,he brings so much energy/hope to team,wish he wouldve been there game 1,defense developing that muschamp mentality
— Booger (@SECbooger) November 6, 2016
The other freshman’s turn
A week after QB Jake Bentley was named True Freshman of the Week by 247Sports, RB Rico Dowdle decided he too wanted some recognition for his rookie campaign, too.
CBS Sports tabbed Dowdle as its Freshman Player of the Week for his outstanding play on Saturday …
South Carolina is leaning heavily on Dowdle, who has consecutive games of 100 yards or more. In a 31-21 win over Missouri, Dowdle had 149 yards rushing, 20 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns, including this nifty grab …
— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) November 5, 2016
This and that
- Saturday saw the Gamecocks top 400 yards of total offense for the first time this season.
- WR Deebo Samuel now has three rushing touchdowns on the year.
- The Gamecocks lead the conference with their plus 9 turnover margin.
- The South Carolina defense has forced two or more turnovers in six games this year.
- Before Saturday, the Gamecocks hadn’t produced a 100-yard rusher and 100-yard receiver in the same game since Oct. 17, 2015.
- South Carolina is in the midst of its first three-game winning streak since Sept. 2014.
In case you missed it
- SEC Country Power Poll: Where South Carolina is ranked (Week 10)
- Gamecock Central with five key plays from Saturday night.
- Mizzou RB Damarea Crockett calls Williams-Brice Stadium louder than Tiger Stadium and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.
- The Big Spur takes a deep dive into the odds of USC winning the SEC East.
- Offensive improvements help reinvent Will Muschamp at South Carolina.
- Gamecocks are one win from bowl eligibility, from Greenville Online.
- Muschamp punts on first chance to discuss facing his former team (Florida) on Saturday.
- Men’s basketball used a second-half surge to score an exhibition win over Newberry on Sunday.
- Women’s basketball shined in its 120-49 exhibition win over Benedict.
— GamecockWBB (@GamecockWBB) November 6, 2016
Yeah, he’s all right.
How much better have the Gamecocks been under Bentley? Quite a bit… pic.twitter.com/RPbSKWJMEw
— Saturday Down South (@SDS) November 6, 2016
When I called Muschamp, all I got was “new number, who dis?”
Note from SC-Mizzou on TV- Muschamp told SECN 2 recruits who weren't interested in SC called this week to visit wanting to play with Bentley
— Matt Connolly (@MattatTheState) November 6, 2016
How I felt watching UGA vs. UK on Saturday night:
Still incredibly unlikely USC wins the East, and even if they did … yikes. Dealing long-term damage to UGA is the greater concern here.
— Half Cocked (@HalfCockedShow) November 6, 2016
Mama, there goes that man.
— GoGamecocks.com (@gogamecocks) November 6, 2016