COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Will Muschamp met with reporters on Sunday afternoon, to preview the start of preseason camp.
Below are some of the primary talking points from Muschamp’s press conference.
- Freshman OT Jordan Rhodes has been cleared and is on campus.
- JUCO DB Keisean Nixon should be on campus within the next two days.
- Freshman OT Jordon Carty will be in at some point in the month of August.
- WR Korey Banks will move to WR and will now wear No. 23.
- Jaylin Dickerson is going to be non-contact, as he deals with a shoulder ailment. “It could be a week. It could be a week and a half,” Muschamp said.
- TE K.C. Crosby is day-to-day with a knee scope. Should be in shortly.
- WR Randrecvous Davis is day-to-day (groin). Both Crosby and Davis could be ready to go within the week or so.
- A handful of players will miss parts of camp because of class conflict: Malik Young, Caleb Kinlaw, etc.
The latest roster from USC pic.twitter.com/ICoTe67gDU
— Hale McGranahan (@Hale_SECcountry) July 30, 2017
Expectations for Skai Moore
“I expect him to play extremely well and I think he will. He had a great spring. I think he probably feels like he’s in the best shape he’s been in. He’s up to 225. He’s moving extremely well.”
Zack Bailey’s move to RT
“I think it’s gone well. We’re not settled at all on who’s going to play left tackle or right tackle.”
They’d be willing to move Bailey back inside to guard, if that means they’re able to get the best five offensive linemen on the field.
Deebo Samuel in 2017
“We’ve got to stay healthy. … I think we’ve got a better handle of that, administratively, as coaches, as far as work capacity and what he can handle.”
“He’s a guy that’s very dangerous with the ball in his hands. … He’s much like a running back with the ball in his hands.”
Muschamp wants the Gamecocks offense to be balanced, because of the challenges it puts on opposing defenses. They were 4-0 last season when they hit their goals on turnover margin and big plays hit on offense and big plays allowed on defense.
A handful of defensive backs will cross-train at multiple positions during camp and probably play multiple spots during the season:
Jamyest Williams: nickel/cornerback
Keisean Nixon: nickel/safety
Chris Lammons: cornerback/nickel/safety