COLUMBIA, S.C. – There hasn’t been much in-between for the South Carolina football team’s running game this season.
It’s been mostly good or bad and ugly.
- @Missouri: 40 carries, 172 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Louisiana Tech: 32 carries, 143 yards, 1 touchdown
- @Tennessee: 40 carries, 194 yards, 1 touchdown
- Vanderbilt: 37 carries, 212 yards, 3 touchdowns
- Florida: 47 carries, 220 yards, 4 touchdowns
Bad and ugly
- N.C. State: 21 carries, 31 yards, 1 touchdown
- Kentucky: 20 carries, 54 yards
- @Texas A&M: 26 carries, 23 yards
- @Georgia: 17 carries, 43 yards
The only other performance of the season would qualify as decent enough. That was against Arkansas: 36 carries for 159 yards.
Please excuse us for overlooking this week’s game against Wofford, but if South Carolina is going to upset Clemson in a couple of weeks, the run game will need to be somewhere in the neighborhood of decent enough.
Anything better would be, well, icing on the cake.
There are just 10 issues: Clemson’s 2017 season. The best rushing output against the Tigers was put together by run-heavy Georgia Tech: 41 carries for 198 yards and a touchdown.
No Clemson opponent has rushed for more than one score in a game. Not counting Georgia Tech, the highest yards-per-carry figures came from Louisville (4.3) and N.C. State (4.5). Neither team had a 100-yard rusher against the Tigers.
Georgia Tech’s KirVonte Benson (129) is the only player to rush for more than 100 yards against Clemson this season. That would be the second-highest single-game total by a South Carolina back in 2017.
Here are the best single-game efforts this season by each of the Gamecocks’ top five rushers:
- A.J. Turner (vs. Florida): 22 carries, 136 yards
- Ty’Son Williams (vs. Louisiana Tech): 13 carries, 95 yards, 1 touchdown
- Rico Dowdle (vs. Arkansas): 11 carries, 61 yards
- Mon Denson (vs. Florida): 13 carries, 61 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Jake Bentley (vs. Vanderbilt): 6 carries, 47 yards, 2 touchdowns
995: Combined rushing yards by Turner, Williams and Dowdle
125.1: Average rushing yards by South Carolina
108: Where Gamecocks rank nationally in yards per game
4: Combined rushing touchdowns by Turner, Williams and Dowdle (and Bentley’s rushing touchdown total, which leads team)
2: Number of rushing touchdowns by Turner and Denson