COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp spoke with reporters on Sunday night, as the Gamecocks begin preparing for Clemson
Here’s what the Gamecocks second-year head coach had to say during his weekly teleconference:
- Opening: Muschamp said Jake Bentley was “very accurate” with the football and Donell Stanley was OL of the Week. Bentley was Player of the Game for the offense. “Very efficient, offensively.”
- Defensively, they played “pretty well.” Skai Moore was Player of the Game for the defense. DL of the Week were Keir Thomas and D.J. Wonnum.
- A.J. Turner was Special Teams Player of the Week for his coverage.
- Jam Williams (shoulder) “is definitely good to go” for the Clemson game. Antoine Wilder’s (arm) status is to be determined.
- On 56-7 last season: “If you don’t get excited about playing arch-rival, something is wrong with you. Regardless of the score last year, two years ago. … It doesn’t matter.”
- Shi Smith (ankle) “should be good to go.” Muschamp added, “All of the reporters I’ve gotten today have been good.”
- “I certainly think you always look at something that maybe gave somebody some issues. … But you can’t just whole sale things in one week,” Muschamp said, when asked about Syracuse’s tempo on offense and how it affected Clemson in that upset earlier this season.
- “It wasn’t long,” Muschamp said, when asked how long it took to hear he needed to be Clemson.
- On the Mike Williams/JaMarcus King: Muschamp said King has gotten stronger on the line of scrimmage and has improved his strength. “That was a situation where I’ve seen that he’s used that as a motivating factor for him.”