COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp met with reporters after his team’s 28-20 win over Florida at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.
Here’s what the Gamecocks’ second-year coach had to say:
- Opening: “We made it a little more interesting than it ought to be. Coach [AD Ray] Tanner was complaining about concessions, so we thought we’d keep some people around.”
- Senior safety D.J. Smith (hip) was unable to go in pregame. Dante Sawyer “was limping around on one leg.”
- “We just didn’t feel like [Smith] was full-speed enough to play.”
- Ran the ball well. There was a miscommunication on Jake Bentley’s first interception. The third should have been thrown away or a taken a sack. Muschamp thinks he didn’t see the safety on the second.
- “They’ve got a bunch of good kids in that locker room. It’s a tough situation [Florida is] going through right now.”
- On third down, defensively, Muschamp said Florida went to a lot of 7-man protections. “We had a lot of 1-on-1s.”
- “I thought we compete extremely well,” Muschamp said, when asked about the line of scrimmage play. There were three runs by Florida — take those away and “the running game is non-existent.”
RELATED: Shi Smith injury update
- “This football team was 3-9 two years ago. … I just complimented them in the locker room. You talk about investing what you need to do to be successful. … I’m really proud of this football team and how they invested in us and invested in each other.”
- “I’m very proud of the progress we’ve been able to make.”
- “When you talk, in terms of progress, you’ve got to be able to show recruits. You’ve also got to be able to show your team. … You’ve got to have positive reinforcements.”