COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp met with reporters on Sunday night to discuss the Outback Bowl berth against Michigan.
Kickoff is set for 12 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2018. The game will be played in Tampa, Fla. at Raymond James Stadium. Here’s what Muschamp had to say during Sunday night’s press conference at Williams-Brice Stadium:
- Opening: “It’s a great reward for our players, our university, our staff, administration and our fanbase. I know our fanbase will travel extremely well.” Muschamp said the fanbase makes South Carolina an appealing bowl guests.
- “It’s an opportunity for us to show the progress of our program. … It’s an opportunity to develop our football team. … In essence having another spring practice.”
“He’s our offensive coordinator.” Muschamp said he “won’t get into speculation” about Roper’s future. Says he expects him to be the OC in the bowl game.
— Hale McGranahan (@Hale_SECcountry) December 3, 2017
- It’s been a little different this month, Muschamp said, because of the early signing period in December. “We’ve been on the road, beating it up a little bit.
- Rico Dowdle, A.J. Turner and K.C. Crosby will be available to play. Terry Googer will not.
- There are still two weeks to go with the semester, so there’s no word on any academic casualties.
- Muschamp, once again, spoke about football being a developmental game: “Again, you’ve got to take snaps, to be better at this game. This offers us an opportunity to do so.”
- “I’m very proud of our senior class [and] our first class last year. … I appreciate their buy-in, which has been very strong. This has been a fun team to be around, as far as their preparation is concerned.”
- Evan Turner will be with the basketball team for the next couple of weeks, in addition to still being apart of the football team.
- “We need to be more productive, offensively. There’s no doubt about that.”
- “Not at this time,” Muschamp said, when asked if any players said they wanted to sit out the bowl game.