COLUMBIA, S.C. — Coming off the bye week, South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp spoke to reporters on Sunday night.
Here’s what the Gamecocks second-year head coach had to say:
- Opening: “I thought we had a good off week. All three (offensive) linemen will be back this week. … All three will be able to practice tomorrow. Chad Terrell and Terry Googer remain questionable.”
- Malik Young has been/will be the least involved during practice.
- Muschamp said they got “a lot” of recruiting done during the bye week, “which was very important.”
- More on Deebo Samuel: Muschamp said “there’s a possibility” that he could play in the regular season, “but I don’t want to speculate, get too far down the road.” Doctors, Muschamp added, believe the rehab has gone really well.
- “There’s a lot that needs to happen, before that happens,” Muschamp said about Samuel playing before the end of the regular season.
- “I never want to put a player out there if he’s full speed and can’t protect himself. … We’re a long way away from that. We’ve still got a lot of time. I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves there.”
- Muschamp said the “complete and total” focus needs to be on Vanderbilt. As a team, there’s no conversation about gaining bowl eligibility this week with a win over Vanderbilt.
- The Gamecocks defense “doesn’t want to let each other down.” Muschamp added, “When you have that sort of thing, as a coach, that makes it fun.”