South Carolina football: Will Muschamp Sunday teleconference
COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp held his weekly teleconference on Sunday night,
Here’s what the Gamecocks (3-1, 1-1 SEC) second-year head coach had to say during the call:
- “I’m just really proud of the effort our guys had yesterday, as far as playing hard in the game. … Without the intangible qualities that you need to have, we don’t win the game. Very, very proud of that. Obviously, some things to clean up, moving forward.
- Sadarius Hutcherson “did a really good job” filling in at left guard for Cory Helms (ankle). He and Dennis Daley were the offensive linemen of the game.
- “I’ve got confidence in all three [running backs] and how they perform in practice will obviously dictate how that goes. Rico [Dowdle] does have a little bit of a contusion on the thigh and A.J. [Turner] did some nice things in the game, but we’ll evaluate that day-to-day, week-to-week.”
- Zack Bailey (ankle) is out for Texas A&M. Helms is questionable, but a decision won’t be finalized until Wednesday. Steven Montac (leg) has been elevated to questionable and they’re hopeful he could be back this week. Dante Sawyer (hamstring) will be ready play against the Aggies.
- “They took [Bailey’s] cast off again today and they felt like it was much better than it was. If it continues to progress, we’re doing everything we can do to get it back. Definitely out this week. I would say, probably Tennessee would be the earliest.”
- On freshman cornerback Tavyn Jackson, who hasn’t played yet this season: “I’m hoping to get him back. … He hasn’t done a lot. Being a true freshman, to me, it’s going to be very difficult for him to come in and contribute, maybe just on special teams, but he’s not back practicing right now. He’s still got a little bit of an issue with the hamstring and we’re trying to get him healthy.”
- Muschamp said Parker White’s missed field goals were “hit well,” but there are “no good misses.” Alex Woznick (leg) is back available to kick this week.
- Keisean Nixon is working at cornerback right now.
- Shameik Blackshear “did a nice job” against Louisiana Tech.
- Keir Thomas, who started in place of Sawyer, missed on a couple of sacks, because Louisiana Tech’s quarterback was kind of “slippery,” “but I think Keir continues to do a nice job.”
- On OrTre Smith: “He’s a wide out. To me, he’s just a matchup issue. He’s a guy that’s going to create some problems when you have smaller guys out there covering him.”
NEXT WATCH: Jadeveon Clowney returns Tom Brady fumble for a touchdown