Whenever Will Muschamp lands a commitment, the South Carolina coach drops a #SpursUp on Twitter. Come to SEC Country for the latest news, notes and observations in South Carolina recruiting.
There was a time when it looked like 4-star wide receiver Josh Vann would announce his commitment before the start of his senior season at Tucker (Ga.) High School. That may no longer be the case.
On Sunday night, Vann told SEC Country that he’s unsure of a timeline for a decision.
“I could go all the way to signing day,” he said.
And, for now, Vann is unsure of which schools he’ll visit during the month of July. The 247Sports composite’s No. 39 wide receiver in the Class of 2018 continues to list South Carolina as his leader ahead of Georgia.
One factor that could play an important role in the timing of his decision is quarterback Justin Fields, who’s considering Georgia, among several schools, including Florida and Florida State.
Auburn remains on the periphery for Vann, who’s listed as the No. 191 overall prospect in the country.
August it is
Three-star tackle Raiqwon O’Neal was offered by South Carolina in June, but the Gamecocks want him to play defensive line.
On Sunday, O’Neal, a 2018 prospect from Conway (S.C.) High School, tweeted that he would announce a commitment in August.
“I’m going to see some schools then I’m going to talk with my family about a date,” he said.
O’Neal is scheduled to visit Florida July 19-20. He’s also planning trips to Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers, but no dates have been set. Those three Big Ten schools have offered, as have Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, and West Virginia.
South Carolina makes the cut
Four other SEC schools — Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Ole Miss — were on McClain’s list. Even though the Gamecocks were included on the list, it seems unlikely that they’ll survive the next cut.
Visit set for Friday
Aidan Robbins, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound running back from Dupont Manual High School in Louisville, Ky., is scheduled to visit South Carolina on Friday.
Robbins, who was offered by Gamecocks running backs coach Bobby Bentley earlier this spring, also has offers from Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami of Ohio and Toledo.
Crystal Ball eval
Since Friday, a few more picks were issued for South Carolina on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.
- 3-star S Israel Mukuamu: While Florida State looks like the favorite right now, they’ll have to survive a late push from South Carolina. The Gamecocks will get him back on campus just days before a commitment is announced on July 24 at Berkeley (S.C.) High School.
- 4-star WR Marquez Ezzard: This seems like the obvious choice. The Gamecocks haven’t really been much of a factor.
- 4-star LB Channing Tindall: Another day, another prediction that he’ll stay home and play college ball in Columbia. It’s not only a safe pick, it’s a smart pick.
- 4-star WR Josh Vann: The lead over Georgia remains, but it’s very slight. It’s the right pick, for now.
- 4-star DT Rick Sandidge: We’ll continue to beat the drum that it’s still way too early to make any definitive presumptions about where Sandidge will land, but South Carolina figures to be the odds on favorite when a decision is made, whenever that may be.