While on campus for the South Carolina recruiting weekend, 2019 running back Tahj Gary landed an offer from the Gamecocks.
The 5-foot-8, 205-pound prospect received the news on Saturday during a tour of campus with coach Will Muschamp, offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon and running backs coach Bobby Bentley.
“They were just talking to me about being at South Carolina, the school,” Gary said. “They were trying to get to know me as a person, just my background, building a relationship with me and all that.”
Gary, who attends Woodward Academy in Atlanta, also visited South Carolina in December for a bowl practice.
“It’s a great place to be. It’s in the capital of South Carolina, so that’s good,” Gary said. “Just going up there and getting a feel for it every single time, it’s starting to feel like home a little bit. I’m just getting a good feeling for the coaches, the coaching staff. It’s just a good environment to be in.”
The trip on Saturday offered a little more depth.
“Went to go see the dorms a little bit and we had talked about academics first, earlier this morning; that was a good part of it,” Gary said. “We got to interact with some of the players and I got to talk to them about school, just being a South Carolina football player.”
Terry Googer, a Woodward graduate, is one of the players he’s connected with at South Carolina.
“He was just telling me he loved it up there,” Gary said. “Probably a year ago, he was telling me I need to come up there and see the school. He was like, it’s a good place and he liked it a lot. He told me I needed to get up there.”
Gary also detailed his interactions with a couple of the coaches:
Muschamp: “He was really good. He had a lot of good things to say about the program and how things are improving in the couple of years that he’s been there. He talked me about how they did in the bowl game, the Outback Bowl. The practices, they’re physical. The tempo of their practices, they move around a lot. They’re quick with things. They don’t waste time. Their practice time, they don’t waste time.”
Bentley: “We really connect a lot. I’m a twin and he has twins, a daughter and a son twins. … We really connect, like we’re both on the same page. He has good interest in me. He has my best interests. We have a good relationship right now. He checks up on me a lot.”
- Power 5: Boston College, Illinois, Louisville, Kentucky, Oregon State, Purdue
- The rest: Cincinnati, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Miami of Ohio, South Alabama, Texas-San Antonio, Troy, Western Kentucky
High school stats
- Junior: 1,305 rushing yards, 9.7 yards per carry, 19 touchdowns; 37 catches, 790 receiving yards, 11 touchdowns; 10 punt returns, 238 return yards, 1 touchdown
- Sophomore: 703 yards, 6.5 yards per carry, 14 touchdowns; 16 catches, 155 yards
- Has also visited Auburn, Duke, Florida State, Georgia, Miami and Tennessee
- Wants to return to Florida and also see Michigan, Notre Dame and Oregon in the summer