COLUMBIA, S.C. — One of the biggest South Carolina recruiting events is under way: The Gamecocks home opener against Kentucky.
Among the headliners is 5-star small forward Zion Williamson, who spent a good part of the pregame festivities with former Gamecocks basketball player Justin McKie. Athletics director Ray Tanner, basketball coach Frank Martin and assistant basketball coach Perry Clark also spent time with Williamson and his family.
Zion Williamson is in the building. pic.twitter.com/LMLtpBlYSw
— Hale McGranahan (@Hale_SECcountry) September 16, 2017
Four-star linebacker Channing Tindall (Columbia, S.C.), 4-star defensive tackle Rick Sandidge (Concord, N.C.), 4-star offensive tackle Dylan Wonnum and 3-star athlete Bryce Thompson (Irmo, S.C.) were also spotted on the sidelines. Four-star wide receiver commitment Josh Vann made it. Fellow commitments Tyquan Johnson, Darius Rush, R.J. Roderick, Maxwell Iyama, Dakereon Joyner and Ernest Jones IV also were among the recruits.
Indiana commitment Elijah Rodgers, a 3-star cornerback from Blacksburg, S.C., is also visiting.
Iyama was joined by his teammate from Siegel High School (Murfreesboro, Tenn.), 2019 4-star defensive end Joseph Anderson.
2019, 2020 South Carolina recruiting guests
The following prospects also were spotted:
- 2019 4-star athlete Jammie Robinson and 3-star defensive tackle DeAngelo Griffin (Crisp County High School in Cordele, Ga.)
- 2019 linebacker Kalen Deloach (Savannah, Ga.)
- 2019 running back Kendrell Flowers (Irmo, S.C.)
- 2020 quarterback Luke Doty (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
- 2020 defensive lineman Tonka Hemingway (Conway, S.C.)
- 2019 3-star defensive tackle Jaylen Nichols (Charlotte, N.C.)
- 2019 offensive lineman Dylan Powell (Summerville, S.C.)