Whenever Will Muschamp lands a commitment, the South Carolina coach drops a #SpursUp on Twitter. Come to SEC Country for the latest news, notes and observations in South Carolina recruiting. For previous editions of SpursUp Surveillance, check out the link.
The 2019 South Carolina recruiting class, Will Muschamp’s fourth group with the Gamecocks, currently includes six commitments, four of whom are committed to play on the offensive side of the ball.
SEC Country takes a look at the quarterback targets who eventually could join them in South Carolina’s 2019 haul.
Current South Carolina quarterbacks
- Senior Michael Scarnecchia: Career backup competing for No. 2 job this spring.
- Junior Jake Bentley: Starter for the Gamecocks’ last 20 games.
- Redshirt freshman Jay Urich: Former 3-star recruit who redshirted last season.
- Freshman Dakereon Joyner: Highly-touted 4-star enrolled in January.
RELATED: Spring quarterback primer
With Scarnecchia scheduled to come off the books before 2019, the Gamecocks are expected to take at least one quarterback in this recruiting haul.
South Carolina flirted with the idea of signing two quarterbacks during the 2018 cycle, so it’s within reason to think it could be considered again in 2019.
2019 South Carolina recruiting targets
- 4-star Sam Howell (Monroe, N.C.): Offer sheet also includes Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State.
- 4-star Taisun Phommachanh (Avon, Conn.): On Saturday, he tweeted about the offer from Dan Werner, South Carolina’s first-year quarterbacks coach.
- 3-star Garrett Shrader (Charlotte, N.C.): Among the first quarterback contacted Werner.
- 3-star Ryan Hilinski (Orange, Calif.): Offered by former offensive coordinator Kurt Roper, but will visit this weekend.
- 3-star Jacob Conover (Chandler, Ariz.): South Carolina offered earlier this week.
- NR Davis Beville (Greenville, S.C.): Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Campbell have offered.
Among the offered prospects, Shrader could be most likely to end up with South Carolina, but Mississippi State is certainly in the mix, too. But Hilinski is set to get his first look at the school this weekend.
Shrader is one of four 2019 quarterbacks with an offer from the Gamecocks. All four were dispensed while Kurt Roper was still coaching the position at South Carolina. One of those prospects, 3-star Ty Evans, is committed to Colorado, where Roper now works.
Before last Saturday, it was believed that Werner hadn’t offered a 2019 quarterback at South Carolina.
Miss a previous edition of Spurs Up Surveillance? Get caught up here.