The 2018 South Carolina recruiting class is nearing completion with 18 commitments now on the books for coach Will Muschamp.
That figure doesn’t include the lone holdover from last year’s class, defensive end Tyreek Johnson, who will arrive in January as a grayshirt. Though they’re close to max capacity, the Gamecocks have work to do.
Below is an update on where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where the South Carolina class ranks
South Carolina’s 2018 class is ranked No. 22 nationally and No. 6 in the SEC, according to the 247Sports composite. The Gamecocks have an average commit rating of 86.15, which is tied with recruiting rival Virginia Tech
Two of the top three players in the class are the most recent additions. Three-star safety Jonathan Gipson (Hoschton, Ga.) committed on July 31, one day before 4-star Marlon Character Jr., a junior college transfer who began his career at Auburn. Character is classified as the No. 1 JUCO safety in the country, but he will play cornerback at South Carolina.
A majority of the spots left in the Gamecocks class are reserved for prospects on the defensive side of the ball.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 235
- 5-star offers: 9
- 4-star offers: 113
- In-state recruits offered: 17
- North Carolina recruits offered: 11
- QB Dakereon Joyner, 4 stars, Fort Dorchester (North Charleston, S.C.)
- DB Marlon Character Jr., 4 stars, Northwest Mississippi C.C. (Senatobia, Miss.)
- DB Jonathan Gipson, 3 stars, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.)
- DT Dantrell Barkley, 3 stars, Independence C.C. (Independence, Kan.)
- OT Maxwell Iyama, 3 stars, Siegel (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
- WR Tyquan Johnson, 3 stars, Screven County (Sylvania, Ga.)
- SDE Kingsley Enagbare, 3 stars, Hapeville Charter (Atlanta, Ga.)
- RB Deshaun Fenwick, 3 stars, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- DT Jabari Ellis, 3 stars, Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, Ga.)
- RB Lavonte Valentine, 3 stars, Melbourne Central Catholic (Melbourne, Fla.)
- WR Ronnie Jamison, 3 stars, Highland C.C. (Highland, Kan.)
- C Hank Manos, 3 stars, Chapin (Chapin, S.C.)
- OT Wyatt Campbell, 3 stars, Lugoff-Elgin (Lugoff, S.C.)
- OT Jesus Gibbs, 3 stars, Potomac (Dumfries, Va.)
- OLB Ernest Jones, 3 stars, Ware County (Waycross, Ga.)
- S RJ Roderick, 3 stars, Cane Bay (Summerville, S.C.)
- WR Darius Rush, 3 stars, C.E. Murray (Greeleyville, S.C.)
- OG LaMarius Benson, 3 stars, Eastside (Covington, Ga.)
- DE Tyreek Johnson, 3 stars, Lakewood (Sumter, S.C.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
5-star DE KJ Henry (Clemmons, N.C.)
South Carolina is 1 of 5 finalists for Henry, who also lists Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Virginia Tech. The No. 2 weakside defensive end in the country is expected to render a decision before the end of the year, because he’s on track to graduate from West Forsyth High School in December.
4-star OT Dylan Wonnum (Tucker, Ga.)
The younger brother of South Carolina defensive end/outside linebacker D.J. Wonnum has visited Columbia several times over the last 12 months. Dylan could wait until the end of the season before announcing a commitment.
4-star ILB Dax Hollifield (Shelby, N.C.)
South Carolina has been among the finalists for Hollifield, who has also listed North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Florida State and Stanford have since been added, to make it a final five. All schools will receive an official visit before Hollifield announces a commitment. The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is the targeted date.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Joyner)
- RB: 2/2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- TE: 0/0
- WR: 3/4 (Jamison, Johnson, Rush)
- OL: 5/6 (Benson, Campbell, Gibbs, Iyama, Manos)
- DL: 4/5 (Barkley, Ellis, Enagbare, Johnson)
- ILB: 0/1
- OLB: 1/2 (Jones)
- CB: 1/2 (Character)
- S: 2/2 (Gipson, Roderick)
Here’s a breakdown of South Carolina’s commits by state:
- South Carolina: 8 (Campbell, Ellis, Jamison, Johnson, Joyner, Manos, Roderick, Rush)
- North Carolina: 1 (Barkley)
- Georgia: 6 (Benson, Character, Enagbare, Gipson, Jones, Johnson)
- Florida: 2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- Virginia: 1 (Gibbs)
- Tennessee: 1 (Iyama)