Whenever Will Muschamp lands a commitment, the South Carolina coach drops a #SpursUp on Twitter. Come to SEC Country for the latest news, notes and observations in South Carolina recruiting. For previous editions of SpursUp Surveillance, check out the link.
Official visit weekend
For the moment, South Carolina’s official visit guest list has one confirmed visitor: 3-star linebacker Rosendo Louis, a Florida State commitment who once listed the Gamecocks as his favorite.
A candidate to be the second recruit to return to Columbia for the weekend is 3-star offensive guard Jovaughn Gwyn. After winning a state championship Saturday, Gwyn came down with strep throat, so he’ll back on campus if he’s well enough to visit.
Louis (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) committed the Seminoles in August and is set to sign next week as a mid-year enrollee. While Gwyn (Charlotte, N.C.) plans to sign next week, he won’t graduate from high school until the spring.
Uncommitted 4-star linebacker Channing Tindall (Columbia, S.C.) is considering a visit to Georgia this weekend. As of Tuesday, however, his plans weren’t set in stone, according Spring Valley High School coach Robin Bacon.
Whether Tindall will sign next week is also not known, but he told reporters in November that he would commit before the end of 2017 but wait to sign until the first Wednesday in February.
The final push
This is the final weekend before South Carolina and every other college football program attempts to traverse through the first early signing period, which runs Dec. 20-22.
On Sunday, there will be a quiet period, which prevents college coaches from visiting recruits away from campus. Will Muschamp and every other college football coach in the country has been permitted to go out and meet with 2018 prospects since Nov. 26.
The dead period starts Monday and runs into the second week of January. No face-to-face contact is permitted at this time, including on-campus visits.
So these will be an important final few days for all 2018 prospects, not just the ones who will visit South Carolina this weekend.
At last count, 12 of the Gamecocks 2018 commitments will enroll next month, meaning they’re also expected to sign next week:
- 4-star QB Dakereon Joyner
- 3-star RB Lavonte Valentine
- 3-star RB Deshaun Fenwick
- 3-star WR Darius Rush (ATH)
- 3-star OT Maxwell Iyama
- 3-star C Hank Manos
- 3-star OT Wyatt Campbell
- 3-star DE Tyreek Johnson (signed in 2017)
- 3-star DE Kingsley Enagbare
- 3-star LB Ernest Jones IV
- 3-star LB R.J. Roderick
- 3-star S Israel Mukuamu (CB)
Other commitments expected to sign next week:
- 3-star DT Jabari Ellis
- 3-star OT Jesus Gibbs (DL) *according to GamecockCentral’s Wes Mitchell
- 3-star DB Jonathan Gipson *
Commitments signing in February:
- 3-star ATH Bryce Thompson (DB)
- 3-star WR Ronnie Jamison
Signing plans unknown:
- 4-star CB Marlon Character Jr.
- 4-star WR Josh Vann
- 3-star WR Tyquan Johnson
- 3-star OL LaMarius Benson
Targets enrolling in January:
- 5-star DE K.J. Henry
- 3-star DE Jarrett Jackson (Louisville commit)
- 3-star LB Rosendo Louis (Florida State commit)
South Carolina recruiting updates
- The impressive story of Quavaris Crouch
- What are the Gamecocks getting in Bryce Thompson?
- What are the Gamecocks getting in Jaylen Nichols?
Miss a previous edition of Spurs Up Surveillance? Get caught up here.