Whenever Will Muschamp lands a commitment, the South Carolina coach drops a #SpursUp on Twitter. Come to SEC Country for the latest news, notes and observations on the prospects who could be the newest Gamecocks.
More on Kinlaw
The news of Javon Kinlaw’s de-commitment from South Carolina comes as a bit of a surprise, even though his stock has taken off since his strong freshman season at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi.
Alabama offered earlier this season. Tennessee, Louisville and Maryland have also re-entered the picture for the 4-star defensive lineman.
South Carolina defensive line coach Lance Thompson watched Kinlaw play the week of the Mississippi State game. Everything seemed to be fine with Kinlaw, who was placed at Jones County by South Carolina.
At the end of his Twitter post on Monday night, he wrote that no interviews would be granted.
Kinlaw did, however, speak with Phil Kornblut. The defensive tackle, who’s originally from Goose Creek, S.C., also spoke with Muschamp on Monday night.
“When I was on the phone with coach Muschamp, he was just making me feel like I owe him something,” Kinlaw said. “Just talking like, we sent you here, we did this and we did that, that’s what really just drove me away from them. I didn’t like the way he was stating stuff. I understand they definitely did a lot of things for me, but I’m just saying you can’t just rub it in my face like that.”
He added, “It’s the same thing with certain people just making me feel like I owe coach Muschamp and them something, I owe South Carolina something. Just a lot of people driving me away, making me feel like they own my life or something. People back home. I didn’t really feel bothered by it until I told coach Muschamp how I felt about it and he just talked to me the way he did.”
Kinlaw is the second defensive lineman to de-commit from South Carolina’s 2017 class. The Gamecocks lost 3-star Devonte Wyatt when he flipped his pledge to Georgia in August.
Beatty talks Gamecocks pledge
South Carolina basketball coach Frank Martin landed a big-time prospect when combo guard David Beatty announced his decision to sign with the Gamecocks over Georgetown and Indiana.
Daniel Gallen of pennlive.com covered Beatty’s revelation at Imhotep Charter in Philadelphia, Pa.
“Frank Martin is a great guy,” Beatty said. “He just matched me. He’s just a real person and he cares about your well-being instead of just (as) a basketball player. Of course, he cares about that part, but he’s just tough and just got to be real disciplined, and I need that discipline.”
The No. 7-ranked combo guard in the class of 2017 felt comfortable with his decision after wrapping up his official visit to Columbia.
“When I got back on the plane home, I was just thinking, ‘Man, I’ve never felt nothing like that before,’” Beatty said. “I just felt very comfortable, like I’d been there before. I just belonged there. I just knew that was the truth.”
Class of 2020 offer out
According to 247Sports, South Carolina has offered five prospects from the Class of 2020. Jake Wray, the most recent, is a 6-foot-5, 280-pound offensive tackle from Franklin (Tenn.) High School.
“I don’t know much about South Carolina,” Wray said, “But I do know that coach Muschamp knows what he is doing and there is a bright future for South Carolina.”
After getting word of the offer, Wray then spoke with offensive line coach Shawn Elliott and running backs coach Bobby Bentley.
“(Elliott) said he really liked my film and he wanted to get me to a game,” Wray said.
Wray, who also has offers from Ole Miss and Mississippi State, is the younger brother of 4-star prospect Max Wray, a 2018 offensive tackle.