Whenever Will Muschamp lands a commitment, the South Carolina coach drops a #SpursUp on Twitter. Come to SEC Country for the latest news, notes and observations in South Carolina recruiting.
Last chance to gain ground
Just days before he’s set to announce a commitment, 3-star safety Israel Mukuamu will return to South Carolina for his first visit with the Gamecocks since last season’s home opener.
Mukuamu, who’s slated to return on Friday with a couple of former teammates from Berkeley (S.C.) High School, is set to reveal his college decision at 11 a.m. on Monday. Indiana, Oklahoma State and South Carolina are thought to be trailing Florida State.
Friday’s visit will afford the Gamecocks one final crack at the 2018 prospect out of Parkway High School in Bossier City, La.
South Carolina has a commitment from one defensive back: 3-star RJ Roderick, the No. 91 safety in the country, according to the 247Sports composite. The 6-foot-4 1/2, 187-pound Mukuamu is ranked as the No. 41 safety.
Next on board
The Gamecocks list a commitment from 3-star Darius Rush, the nation’s No. 223 wide receiver. Could he be joined on Saturday by Tyquan Johnson?
Johnson, a 3-star from Screven County High School (Sylvania, Ga.), told analyst Phil Kornblut this week that he could be on the verge of committing.
“It’s a chance, it’s a chance,” Johnson said. “If they’d have me, it would be great. I’d love it. I’ve seen the campus, it’s just my momma. You know, you’ve got to let the parents see the campus and make sure everything is alright.”
South Carolina offered Johnson (6-3, 195) earlier this summer, after a strong showing at Will Muschamp Camp.
East Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Wake Forest and West Virginia have also offered the No. 114 wide receiver in 2018.
Make a lasting impression
Heading into any major recruiting weekend, Gamecocks fans want to know if any big names could commit. Four-star linebacker Dax Hollifield (Shelby, N.C.) and 4-star defensive tackle Rick Sandidge (Concord, N.C.) are not candidates to hop on board the 2018 class this weekend.
That’s not to suggest they won’t at some point. It’s just that the two prospects are expected to take some official visits before reaching their respective decisions.
No big deal.
Hollifield, who continues to list Florida State, South Carolina, North Carolina, Stanford and Virginia Tech among his favorites, is eyeing a potential announcement at the Jan. 7 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Sandidge’s lead group isn’t quite as defined, but it includes Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State.
It would be a big deal if South Carolina is able to help strength its position with them.
Forget about Georgia
The latest battle between South Carolina and Georgia is for 4-star wide receiver Josh Vann, who was just on the Athens campus last weekend.
At last check, Vann wasn’t certain which day he was going to visit, but he plans to return to Columbia either Friday or Saturday.
The timing of the trip, as it relates to the Gamecocks efforts, couldn’t be much better.
At last check, 4-star tackle Dylan Wonnum, Tucker’s teammate from Tucker (Ga.) High School, was not scheduled to visit South Carolina this weekend.
Below is SEC Country’s complete, confirmed list of weekend visitors:
- 2018 LB Dax Hollifield (Shelby, N.C.)
- 2018 ATH Bryce Thompson (Irmo, S.C.)
- 2018 S Israel Mukuamu (Bossier City, La.)
- 2018 S RJ Roderick – committed
- 2018 RB Lavonte Valentine – committed
- 2019 CB Jammie Robinson (Cordele, Ga.)
- 2019 LB Ahdarrious Gee (Cordele, Ga.)
- 2019 QB Davis Beville (Greenville, S.C.)
- 2019 DT Tysheik Galloway (Honea Path, S.C.)
- 2019 CB Carlantre Morrison (Moncks Corner, S.C.)
- 2019 ATH D.J. Chisolm (Moncks Corner, S.C.)
- 2019 WR Dervon Pesnell (Moncks Corner, S.C.)
- 2020 CB Jalen Huff (Athens, Ga.)
- 2021 QB Ridge Jacobs (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Gee, Robinson, Roderick, Thompson
- 2018 DT Rick Sandidge (Concord, N.C.)
- 2018 WR Josh Vann (Tucker, Ga.)
- 2018 DL Raiqwon O’Neal (Conway, S.C.)
- 2018 WR Tyquan Johnson (Sylvania, Ga.)
- 2019 OT Kamren McCray (Moncks Corner, S.C.)
- 2018 LB Ernest Jones IV – committed
- 2018 QB Dakereon Joyner – committed
- 2018 OT Wyatt Campbell – committed
- 2018 C Hank Manos – committed
- 2018 DT Dantrell Barkley – committed