COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Will Muschamp met with reporters after Saturday’s 31-21 win against Missouri.
Here’s what the Gamecocks’ first-year head coach had to say:
- Opening: “Really proud of our football team. Going through the week, Tuesday and Wednesday practice … I thought the effort was really good. I thought we had a great Thursday and Friday. Then, we came out of here and came out of the gates, offensively. I thought it was our most complete game.”
- Opening continued: “Defensively, didn’t fit some runs really well … we needed to stay more to the box and that’s on me … our guys kept fighting, kept hanging in there.”
- A.J. Turner’s injury is “just a knee sprain,” at least that’s what they think right now.
- On the 50-50 balls to Deebo Samuel: “Depending where he is on the defender and we’ll throw the back-shoulder … there are a lot of reps involved, where to throw the ball and where the receiver needs to play the ball.”
- The 98-yard scoring drive: “That was really, probably, the sealing point in the game and the momentum of the game. … The thought process is to get a first-down, so you can flip the field.”
- On Chris Lammons’ targeting call: “It was the correct call, but he got a bad break … there was no malicious intent, but it was the correct call.”
- End of the first half: “When we popped the run on the third down, we were going to go fast, then we got the sack. … We were trying to clean it up on the sideline, what we were doing, but I didn’t feel comfortable with it.”
- On the 2-4 start, to now: “We had a bunch of guys continue to work, try to go in and improve. … It’s 100 percent our players, as far as they’ve handled coaching, handled confrontation.”
- On Jake Bentley: “Jake is a very grounded and humble guy. He goes and watches film. He’s hard on himself.”
- More on Bentley: “I think that we are able to adjust and change week to week. … I wouldn’t say we’re adding a bunch of stuff. We rep our base runs and pass game, but we may get into a different look, a different motion. … At the end of the day, it’s all about repetition, repetition about the runs we have and the route-concepts we have.”
- When asked about next week’s Florida game: “I’m going to enjoy tonight with my wife, Carol.”
- The power run off the jet sweep motion: “Anytime you give window dressing, eye-candy, whatever you want to call it, it’s going to draw some people.”
- Malik Young suffered a lower-body injury, but “should be fine.” Muschamp said all of the guys who were banged up should be fine for Florida. Young’s replacement at right tackle, D.J. Park, was also limping around after the game.