COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Will Muschamp met with reporters after Sunday afternoon’s 28-14 loss to Georgia.
Here’s what the Gamecocks first-year head coach had to say about the game against his alma mater:
- Opening statement: “First of all, I’d like to say our thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by the storm … the crowd was great today. I appreciate them coming out today. I wish we played better … offensively, field position, three turnovers, third-down. We’ve got to get back in the open week and find some things we can improve on. All positions are open.”
- Continued: “You can stunt and do as much of that stuff as we did today, but eventually you’ve got to defeat a block, get off a block and make a tackle … it’s very frustrating to know something is coming and not being able to stop it.”
- On Orth: “We were not running the ball very well. I think, at the end of the day, between Rico and A.J., we had 63 yards rushing. There was nothing in the run game … we just couldn’t get out of our way at times. It’s very frustrating.”
- The third-down: “We had some manageable down and distances, in my opinion. We’ve just got to convert … we’ve got to get some answers, because we’re not able to stay on the field.
- On his bloody lip: “I don’t know. I got cut somewhere on the sideline.”
- To improve the run game: “What we’re doing is not working. We can’t continue to do the same things. Right now, where we are at the quarterback position, Perry is further along throwing the football. Brandon is further along running the ball.”