COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Will Muschamp met with reporters after the Gamecocks’ game against Tennessee on Saturday night.
Here’s what the Gamecocks first-year head coach had to say:
- Opening: “We’re a different team at home, in my short time here, as far as how our guys approach and play … our fan base has a tremendous effect on us. I’m proud of our players. I told them to invest and asked them to continue to believe … if you just continue to do the things we ask you to do, we know we’ll get there.”
- Continued: “We’re very pleased with our guys effort and buy-in … for our guys to continue to fight, it says a lot about the players on our team, but it also says a lot about our staff.”
- On Rico Dowdle: “He landed on the ball on our sideline. He’s going to be fine.”
- On the offense: “We ran the ball, for the most part, pretty well through the night. Jake (Bentley) made some nice throws on the man-to-man throws … we’ve got to get Hayden Hurst more involved … but I thought we had a good plan. We hit the double move to K.C. (Crosby), which was a nice call. … We need to protect a little better in some situations, but it’s not all on the offensive line.”
- Thinking of the future with the freshmen: “We put them on the field (and) we expect them to play at a high level. In order to win in our league, we have to. Only on Sunday, when we’re having dinner, that’s when we say, they’re freshmen.”
- On Chris Lammons’ ejection: “I said a quick prayer to myself, I hope we don’t lose another corner, because we ain’t got any. Chris lost his cool. He made a mistake.”