COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina coach Will Muschamp spoke with reporters after Saturday’s 34-28 win over Massachusetts.
Follow along with SEC Country for live updates from Muschamp’s post-game press conference:
- Opening: “Proud of our guys. It was a good win. Needed that. Certainly made it interesting there … we obviously didn’t handle it very well. we’ve got to continue to clean some things up. I thought the offense did some nice things on that last drive … much better on third-down, so that was a positive. Defensively, gained four turnovers and forced one on fourth-down … we just didn’t play very well, defensively. A lot of stuff we repped and went over.”
- The QB plan: “Brandon (McIlwain) will continue to challenge (Jake Bentley) every day, like every position on our football team … we felt like we needed more production at the position, so the next question you ask yourself, ‘Is the alternative better than what you’ve got?’ … felt like Jake did some nice things today … Brandon will continue to improve, very proud of Brandon and the job that he has done.”
- Quarterbacks: “What they’re doing is very, very difficult … Brandon is certainly going to be involved in that.”
- On Bentley’s poise: “We had the discussion before (the final drive) … the discussion is milk it or win it and our decision was to go win the game.”
- Determining Bentley was ready to play: “Wednesday and Thursday of the open week, we let all three guys get equal reps … we didn’t meet a lot that week, we went out, put the ball down and played. We thought there were some positive things in that.”
- A step back for the defense?: “Disappointing day is what I would really consider … obviously, there are things we didn’t have a lot of carry-over. I was not pleased with our mental intensity. We got up 20 and relaxed … it was more about us not executing what we needed to do.”
- On A.J. Turner: “A.J. had been banged up a little bit with his knee … we felt like those other guys had done a nice job.”
- Injuries: “JaMarcus (King) hurt his hand … but he’s fine, then Rashad (Fenton) had a cramp in his hamstring.”
- On Bobby Bentley’s role in QB plan: “Bobby is not involved on any of the conversations, as far as who is going to be the quarterback at South Carolina.”
- Post-game mood: “They’re recognize that there’s improvement that needs to be made.”
- On McIlwain’s mom: “I’ve talked to Brandon. We’re on the same page moving forward … every parent has my number. I’m the most accessible coach in America.”
- Muschamp said D.J. Smith was fine after suffering a hyperextension. Came back into the game.