3 things every Tennessee fan needs to know today
Happy Tuesday, Tennessee fans.
After a second consecutive loss Saturday, the Vols changed gears Monday and shifted focus to UGA. The players and coaches were upbeat about their chances of turning their season around.
Here were some of the news items you may have missed:
- In need of a change, Tennessee will wear its “smokey grey” uniforms and matching helmets against the Bulldogs. This is the first time the Vols will rock their alternate jerseys since the program signed a new contract with Nike over the summer.
- During his weekly press conference, coach Butch Jones announced that freshman defensive lineman Kyle Phillips would be out against UGA but is expected to return after the Alabama game on Oct. 24. Additionally, Jones announced senior wide receiver Pig Howard is out indefinitely as he deals with a concussion.
- Tennessee quarterback commit Jarrett Guarantano suffered a season-ending foot injury over the weekend. Guarantano, a 4-star prospect from Bergen Catholic High School (Oradell, N.J.) is considered the nation’s top dual-threat quarterback.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- The Knoxville News Sentinel’s Grant Ramey wrote that Tennessee’s season is turning into a rescue mission. The Vols have lost three of their last four games, and must rebound against No. 19 Georgia, who is coming off its first loss of the season.
- 247Sports’ Wes Rucker quoted Jones who said Tennessee is a “good football team.” Jones explained the Vols’ record is not indicative of the quality of football team he has.
- The Tennessean’s David Climer wrote there is heightened scrutiny of Jones as the Vols continue to struggle. Climer described Jones as being thin-skinned as the criticism builds.
Best stories around the SEC
- The SEC Players of the Week were announced. (No, Leonard Fournette did not win this time.)
- The Miami Dolphins named a Texas A&M alum interim head coach. (There are now two NFL head coaches that are former Aggies)
- Check out this hilarious YouTube video “Things SEC fans say.” (Tennessee fans, this includes you, too!)
- Watch Alabama coach Nick Saban go on tirade against the media. (You won’t want to miss this)