It appears the swirling controversy surrounding Tennessee coach Butch Jones and senior center Mack Crowder is beginning to die down. With Georgia looming, the university and Crowder appear ready to move on from the much rumored tussle.
Here’s the latest from a busy week in Tennessee athletics:
- Tennessee chancellor Jimmy Cheek acknowledged an inquiry into the possible physical altercation between Jones and Crowder on Thursday. They found no reason to continue the investigation.
- The Vols will host a bevy of official visitors for the Georgia game. It could be the Vols’ biggest recruiting weekend of the season. Here’s how the Vols have fared well when recruiting prospects from the state of Georgia.
- Even national columnists like to troll on Twitter from time to time. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy had a little fun with Jones during the MLB playoffs on Wednesday.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Georgia coach Mark Richt is very familiar with UT defensive coordinator and defensive back coach Willie Martinez, who. Both coached a combined 14 seasons under Richt. They’ll be on opposite sidelines on Saturday.
- On the basketball front, guard Shembari Phillips might seem flashy. He’s not, according to Grant Ramey of the Knoxville News Sentinel.
Best stories from around the SEC
- There are friends among enemies. LSU lending a helping hand.
- More good nature from the Bayou.
- Not to be too sentimental but the south and the SEC is a good place.
— SEC Country (@seccountry) October 8, 2015