4 things every Tennessee fan needs to know today
It’s a new week for Tennessee, and the Vols will look to bounce back after a gut-wrenching 28-27 loss at Florida in Week 4. Coach Butch Jones will meet with the media for his weekly press conference Monday afternoon in preparation for Saturday’s game against Arkansas. Here’s what else you need to know:
- Several notable Tennessee alums took to Twitter after the team’s loss Saturday. Former wide receiver Jayson Swain was one of the most vocal, tweeting that the “players deserve an apology from their coach.”
- Butch Jones was asked to explain one of Tennessee’s most crucial decisions from Saturday’s game. The coach decided not to go for a two-point conversion while leading, 26-14, based on what his play chart suggested in the given scenario.
- Brett Kendrick was the unsung hero from Tennessee’s 28-27 loss to Florida. The sophomore landed a perfect lead block on Florida’s Jonathan Bullard during Tennessee’s double screen pass touchdown in the first quarter.
- Two Tennessee fans had a blast in a crowd of Gator fans as the Vols held early momentum in Saturday’s contest. The fans celebrated in the front row of a sea of blue-clad Gators fans after the Vols scored in the second quarter and took a 14-7 lead.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Outkick the Coverage’s Clay Travis suggested that Butch Jones needs a common sense coach and dissected Jones’ errors against Florida.
- USA Today’s Dan Wolken was also critical of Jones’ coaching tactics after he claimed his decision not to go for two was based on his play chart. Wolken suggests that Jones should coach with common sense, not off a card.
- Bleacher Report’s Greg Wallace shared his thoughts on why Tennessee and Jones still aren’t ready to compete in the SEC.
- Rocky Top Talk’s Chris Pendley gave his observations on Saturday’s game in Duck and Cover: The Tennessee-Florida football experience.
- Josh Dobbs did something against Florida that only one other player has done in college football in the past 20 years.
Best stories around the SEC
- The Official SEC Country Power Poll has been released (Week 5)
- The top 5 bone-headed moves in the SEC, Week 4
- Auburn defense takes step forward in loss to Mississippi State
- Florida is an instant contender out of the east
- Nation’s No. 1 prospect loves Herschel Walker, will visit UGA
Those players played their ass off. Give our boys Love and support… Players deserve apology from their coach. Smh.
— Jayson Swain (@SwainEvent) September 26, 2015
Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs is the first FBS quarterback since 2003 to lead his team in passing, rushing, and receivin… http://t.co/LfG39sVU6W
— NCAA Football News (@ncaableachers) September 28, 2015