Tennessee coach Butch Jones surely knows that the college football world won’t feel sorry for him. Still, he offered up a possible reason why his team hasn’t lived up to expectations.
Injuries top the list. Jones said his team’s list of maladies could rival any college program in the country. Still, Alabama (6-1, 3-1 SEC) won’t shed any tears for the Vols (3-3, 1-2). Here is the latest on the Tennessee-Alabama game:
Here are four things to know:
- Indeed, Tennessee has sustained various injuries throughout its football team. That’s not just coach speak. No unit has been hit harder than the offensive line.
- When asked about a possible comparison to Bama tailback Derrick Henry, Jones didn’t have to look far for a similar running back.
- Quarterback Joshua Dobbs got the call last season to replace Nathan Peterman against Alabama last season. Dobbs totaled 267 yards and two touchdowns. Alabama coach Nick Saban remembers.
- The Vols will be receiving an official visit from a four-star receiver from Florida. Looks like Tennessee is firmly in the race.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara is returning to Alabama, where he began his college career, as per GoVols247.com’s Ryan Callahan.
- Kamara will return to Tuscaloosa with a heavy heart after former teammate Altee Tenpenny was killed in a car accident, per GoVols247.com’s Wes Rucker.
- The Vols can beat Alabama. No, seriously. Knoxville News Sentinel columnist Mike Strange lays out the game plan.
- It’s almost basketball season. Don’t get too excited Vol fans. Here is where Tennessee is predicted to finish, per Knoxville News Sentinel reporter Grant Ramey.