4 things every Tennessee fan needs to know today
Tennessee beat UGA. Well, you probably already knew that. However, there are surely some that threw in the towel when Tennessee was down 24-3.
The Vols needed a win as bad as anyone in the nation. Tennessee had lost three gut-wrenching decisions this season. They also had a recent dismissal with wideout Pig Howard kicked off the team and an investigation into a possible physical altercation between coach Butch Jones and a player. Here’s how the Vols’ achieved a monumental win.
- It’s quite possible that junior Joshua Dobbs has arrived. Before converting a key fourth down in the second quarter, some wondered if the Vols needed to make a change at quarterback. Dobbs’ accuracy was terribly inconsistent. CBS commentator Gary Danielson even wondered if it was time for a change. Dobbs survived, then thrived. His teammates never doubted him.
- The Vols need a bye week to get healthy. Tennessee started the UGA game without starting right tackle Brett Kendrick who had an arm injury. They then lost Jashon Robertson and Mack Crowder to apparent leg injuries. Defensive tackle Shy Tuttle also seemed to sustain a leg injury. The freshman fell to the turf as he tried to reach the sideline. No injury report was released.
- UGA coach Mark Richt doesn’t want to talk about the recent misfortune his tailbacks have had at Neyland Stadium. Tailback Nick Chubb suffered a gruesome knee injury Saturday. Running back Nick Marshall sustained a severe injury in 2013. Here is Richt’s response to a question about the injuries.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Despite a hectic week full of scrutiny, Jones didn’t want to be the center of the UGA win. After the game, he just wanted to focus on his players, according to 247Sports.com’s Wes Rucker.
- There were plenty of defining moments and key stats in such an exciting game. Here are some of the standouts, according to 247Sports.com’s Ryan Callahan.
- Receiver Josh Smith knew better times were coming for the Vols after such a disappointing beginning to the season. He promised Jones as much, according to Grant Ramey of The Knoxville News Sentinel.
- Here’s some advice: Charge the field at your own risk. This fan didn’t realize he was trying to get around a security guard with SEC linebacker skills.
- The Volunteer Vault has potential as a new tradition. Watch here as some Vols leapt into the stands to celebrate the win over Georgia.
Best stories around the SEC
- Steve Spurrier: “LSU is too big, strong, tougher and maybe smarter than us.”
- Steve Spurrier said his top running back decided not to play after being cleared.
- Leonard Fournette on Nick Chubb’s injury: “My heart just shattered.”