5 things every Tennessee fan needs to know today
It may not be the third Saturday in October but it’s still one of the richest traditions in the SEC. Tennessee travels to Tuscaloosa to play No. 8 Alabama on Saturday. It will be the 96th meeting between the two teams.
Alabama (6-1, 3-1 SEC) leads the series 51-38-7. In a series known for streaks, the Crimson Tide has won eight straight games against the Vols. Tennessee (3-3, 1-2 SEC) is coming off a bye week after a 21-point comeback win against Georgia on Oct. 10. Alabama beat Texas A&M 41-23 on Saturday.
Here are five things to know:
- Gametime for the Tennessee-Alabama game was announced on Saturday. Here is when the fun begins in Tuscaloosa.
- Given Tennessee’s performance to this point, it’s not surprising the Vols are underdogs to ‘Bama. Here is the point spread for Saturday’s game.
- Here is what the Vols’ defense will be facing on Saturday. Alabama tailback Derrick Henry had a historic day and seemed to intimidate Texas A&M’s defenders in the process.
- Remember that shaky Bama secondary? It has gotten much, much better as seen in their performance against the Texas A&M offense on Saturday.
- Nick Saban’s halftime speech was quick, to the point and easy to understand.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Just two days after an uplifting 7-7 tie against Alabama in 1965, three Tennessee coaches were headed to work on a foggy Monday morning. They’d never make it. Knoxville News Sentinel contributor Tom Mattingly looks back at the tragedy that befell Tennessee’s football program.
- In 2014, quarterback Riley Ferguson was thought to be the heir apparent to take over the reigns at Tennessee. Then he suddenly left the program. Here is the latest on Ferguson’s comeback and talk of a return to Knoxville, per Chattanooga Free Press columnist Mark Weidmer.
- Sure, the Vols want to win on Saturday, but staying healthy is also important. That’s not easy against a physical ‘Bama squad, per Knoxville News Sentinel columnist John Adams.
- Tennessee tight end Ethan Wolf has 213 yards receiving to lead the Vols. He plans on keeping his production level high, per Scout.com’s Cory Gunkel.
- Center Kyle Alexander came all the way from Canada to play basketball for Tennessee. Here is the latest on his transition, per Scout.com’s Cory Gunkel.
The best stories around the SEC
- Jim McElwain: “The sun will come up tomorrow and we’re still in control of what we do.”
- Florida’s Jim McElwain on LSU fake FG: “That was pretty awesome”.
- Les Miles on fake field goal: “My heart fluttered with every bobble”.
- Will Grier’s attorney says Florida fans can “rest easy” when it comes to appeal.
- South Carolina coach Shawn Elliot goes wild during emotional postgame speech.