It was a memorable weekend around the SEC. And one in which Tennessee fans could be thankful for stability.
Georgia fired Mark Richt after 15 seasons on Sunday morning. LSU decided to retain coach Les Miles late Saturday night after a week of speculation he would be fired.
With the regular season behind them and no big changes in store, Tennessee’s coaches will focus on recruiting. It didn’t take them long to have success. The Vols picked up a top-flight commitment Sunday.
Here are eight things to know:
- With Mark Richt no longer a Bulldog, Tennessee should be the heavy favorite to win the SEC East.
- Tennessee received a commitment from one of the best junior college prospects in the nation.
- What does that commitment mean? Here’s how it helps the Vols immediately.
- Here are the grades for Tennessee’s win against Vanderbilt. The Vols did quite well.
- The Vols have their eye on another junior college receiver. Will he receive a scholarship offer?
- Most think this junior college defensive end/linebacker will end up committing to Tennessee.
- Tennessee’s alumni enjoyed poking fun at Vanderbilt via Twitter on Saturday.
- This Tennessee child mentions quarterback Joshua Dobbs in a hilarious answer at school.
Other Tennessee news from around the Internet
- Tennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes uses playing time, or lack thereof, as motivation, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel’s Grant Ramey.
- The Lady Vols don’t have many options on offense, according to Knoxville News Sentinel columnist John Adams.
The best stories around the SEC
- If Richt wants to coach in 2016, he’ll have some choices.
- Former UGA running back Todd Gurley wasn’t happy about Richt’s firing. Here are the NFL rookie sensation’s thoughts.
- Florida is an underdog in Saturday’s SEC Championship game. The Gators had better not feel like it to beat Alabama.
- Here are the point spreads and who SEC fans should root for in Saturday’s conference championship games.
- The nation’s No. 1 prospect is from Michigan, but he’s considering the SEC.