KINGSPORT, Tenn. — Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt didn’t address Darrin Kirkland Jr.’s transfer announcement on Thursday night.
Not directly, at least.
Pruitt took the stage at the MeadowView Conference Resort & Convention Center shortly after being made aware of Kirkland’s tweet during the fifth-and-final Big Orange Caravan stop.
During a question-and-answer session, a fan in the audience asked Pruitt about leadership.
“We have guys that have played a lot of ball, and to be honest, I think some of the guys are nervous they might not play much,” Pruitt said. “Just to be honest, based off competition, and because of unknowns. Nobody knows, because I’m not worried about how many games you’ve played or where you’re from.
“We’re worried about who’s going to play the best each and every day, so there’s gonna be lots of competition.”
Pruitt said Tennessee has a lot to improve and a long way to go before the Sept. 1 opener against West Virginia.
“It’s important to have leadership and I would say there’s a lot of unknowns about our team,” Pruitt said. “We have to find a way to create a team, we have to find a way to find some leadership and that will be a huge challenge for us as a coaching staff.”
Big Orange Caravan headlines
- Tennessee football could return to Bristol Motor Speedway
- Phillip Fulmer finds SEC ADs more agreeable than coaches
- Jeremy Pruitt expects QB transfer Keller Chryst to provide lift
- Tennessee coaches and athletic department consider Atlanta ‘in state’
- Phillip Fulmer weighs in on Pruitt-Nick Saban debate
- Pruitt and Fulmer highlight different scheduling points
- Pruitt and Fulmer tired of hearing win total expectation questions
- Memphis or Nashville? Pruitt reveals 2019 recruiting preference
- Fulmer calls for timeout to review Neyland Stadium renovation plan
- Pruitt not backing down to Saban on transfer issue
- Pruitt expressing confidence in secondary
- Vols basketball coach Rick Barnes addressing missed NCAA tourney opportunity
- Fulmer brushes off Alabama, Georgia comparisons
- Vague answers from Pruitt fuel speculation on transfers, starters
- Pruitt reveals what he misses about recruiting
- Fulmer not allowing administrative turmoil to disrupt Tennessee athletics
- Pruitt learning that he and Fulmer ‘see a lot of things the same way’
- Fulmer leads Pruitt on caravan stop