KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — It’s officially Florida week.
Both teams are 3-0 and ranked inside the Top 20. Both teams have a litany of injury issues, too. It’s going to be a wild week building up to Saturday’s showdown at 3:30 p.m. on CBS.
Tennessee coach Butch Jones will meet with the media shortly.
Some depth chart notes before Jones joins us:
The starting OL stays the same from Ohio game (L-R): Brett Kendrick, Jashon Robertson, Dylan Wiesman, Jack Jones and Coleman Thomas.
Despite a steady performance against the Bobcats, freshman cornerback Baylen Buchanan is not listed as a starter. Tennessee names Justin Martin and Emmanuel Mosley.
Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Colton Jumper listed as starting LBs.
* Jones still not here. Making the media work on “sudden change.”
* He’s here, opens by recapping Ohio win. Once again, praises Volunteers red zone work — on both sides of the ball. UT was 4-4 scoring touchdowns in red zone, held Ohio to 4 field goals.
* “Consistency in performance. It sounds simple, but overall as a group we were sloppy. This football team needs to be more detailed oriented.” … Lamenting penalties, one person missing an assignment, fumbles, “the minor details.”
* “We have to value the football. … If we don’t follow our formula it puts us (in danger. … We’re get it right.”
* Injuries: OT Chance Hall (knee) will practice today, as will star linebacker JRM (shoulder). Cam Sutton is out indefinitely with a fractured ankle. Sapp out with a torn ACL.
* Butch on Florida’s defense: “This is probably the best defense we’ve played since I’ve been here.” Calls shutout performance against North Texas absurd. Just 58 yards allowed.
* “Defensively, they’re going to make you earn every yard you get.”
* Jones calls Gators WR Antonio Callaway a “first round pick,” praised UF’s three-headed tailback unit.
* Jones also notes LB Darrin Kirkland is out, but DE LaTroy Lewis is questionable. CB Justin Martin will play, as will WR Josh Smith.
* “We’ll get it corrected.” – Jones on fumble issues. Says team will do more ball-security drills Monday and Tuesday.
* Jones on Baylen Buchanan: “He was calm. The moment wasn’t too big for him.”
* Jones on JRM: “He’s going to do everything he possibly can to play in this game.” Said the injury is a muscle strain.
* Jones saying Neyland needs to be electric this week, adds that Tennessee must provide momentum for crowd.
* Jones: “Everyone understands what this game is. It’s a rivalry. … Everyone understands the magnitude. Everyone knows what this game is … Everyone knows what’s at stake.”
* “Florida’s linebackers are as good as a group as I’ve seen.”
* Jones on 11-game losing streak: “You shouldn’t need that to motivate you. … We don’t use that for motivation. These kids don’t need to know about it.” — Mentions Buchanan as a frosh who doesn’t know about streak.
* Lots of compliments on Florida’s cornerback tandem (Jalen Tabor, Quincy Hall) and defensive line depth.
* “We need more takeaways. We need to generate more takeaways, more TFLs.”
* Jones on OL shuffle: “Whoever is in there is just boils down to consistency. We’ll do things for three plays in a row and then all of a sudden there’s a miss.” … Jones on another diatribe where media “creates all the advertises for ourselves.” Said he charts what the media “blows up” each week.
* Lots of “eliminating distractions.” … “No more. No less.” More “eliminating the clutter.”
* Jones now praising the media: “You guys have all been really, really great.”
* Jones, again on miscues/issues: “We’ll get it corrected. We’ll get it cleaned up.”
* Jones said Sutton was the first person to get treatment on Sunday and the last player to leave. Compliments his leadership, even while injured.
* “Heck if you can’t get excited for this game … why do you do what you do?” … Jones on ESPN College GameDay coming this weekend: “Shows how far our program has come. That’s never happened here.”