KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is 4-0 for the first time since 2003.
The Volunteers proved their preseason hype on Saturday with a 38-28 win over archival Florida. Down 21-0, Tennessee scored 38 straight points, stunning the Gators.
The Volunteers travel to Athens this weekend for another SEC East showdown. Tennessee at Georgia will kickoff at 3:30 p.m. on CBS.
Stay tuned for updates.
Couple notes before Jones arrives…
Vols quarterback Josh Hobbs was named the SEC’s Offensive Player of the Week after throwing for 4 touchdowns against UF. Defensive end Derek Barnett honored as the co-Defensive Lineman of the Week. The junior All-American changed the game on Saturday, recording 2 sacks and a TFL loss on four plays in the third quarter.
* Jones is in the house. “I was very, very proud of the way our kids competed. Even in the first half.”
* “We had some individuals really step up and play some winning football for us.” … Mentions efforts without Cam Sutton, Darrin Kirkland and Jalen Reeves-Maybin, praises linebacker Colton Jumper. Said it was the best game of his career.
* “It was a tale of two halves.”
* Jones disappointed about a couple explosive plays in the first half. Said 3 snaps accounted for more than 130 yards of offense
* Jones frustrated with red zone defense against UF, says only 4-point play in football is in the red zone. Need to force more field goals.
* On pushing the reset button: “This football team has won 10 games in a row. So we’ve pushed the reset button. But we better.”
* Jones talking up Georgia Bulldogs like they’re the ’85 Bears. They’re not.
* “The more you win, the more that’s at stake.”
* On added motivation against UGA (via Shy Tuttle injury): “No. You can’t focus on that. … I don’t see that even entering the process.”
* “I thought we made significant improvement in the offensive line.” … Still wants better pass protection.
* Chance Hall, returning from knee injury, took all 77 snaps. Still working on his conditioning but proud of Hall’s effort.
* “I think the more repetitions (Colton Jumper) gets the more confidence he has.”
* Jones calls crowd determined. Thought the atmosphere was epic. “I love our fans. I’m one of them. I think we gave them some things to cheer for.” … “What can I say about the crowd? It was electric. They made it the best atmosphere in college football.”
* Jones said Jalen Hurd has had “some dirty runs.” Notes that tailback has turned potential negative yardage plays into 1, 2 yard gains.
* Jones on Tennessee’s conditioning: invokes “the process.”
* INJURY UPDATE: “We’ll know a little bit more about Darrin later this week.” Says DK has mostly done pool running but “starting to do some land running this week.” Calls DK “questionable to doubtful. Jones full anticipates JRM playing.
* “We’re going to get their best. They’re a really, really good football team. Isaiah Mckenzie can change the game on one return.” … “They have our attention. They have our respect.”
* Jones said Kirby Smart/Mel Tucker defense is similar style to Alabama. “They are very, very physical. … They can run.” … “There are some similarities. There are some differences as well.”
* Jones on passing game: “We executed very well. … In the throw game, we executed. … This is probably the grittiest game of Josh Dobbs’ career. A lot of times he couldn’t see the conclusion of the play. He just heard the roar of the crowd.”
* Jones calls receiver Jauan Jennings, “As great as a competitor as any on our football team.” … “Our team feeds off of him.”
* “First of all in the last 36 hours, they’ve had a mandatory off-day yesterday. I like what they said in the locker room after the game.” … Notes that Barnett told him after the game, “It’s one game. We got Georgia next week.”
* New BUTCHISM: “Praise and blame it’s all the same.”
* Jones on DBs improvement after halftime: “I thought it was a byproduct of team defense.”
* Jones didn’t berate the team at halftime because “they knew.” “We did not play our best football. … It wasn’t an effort thing. It was execution.” Jones said team had more drops in first half against Florida than last 10 games combined.
* Jones on bringing “joy to the community” … “I bleed with them. I know what they want.”
* “I know there was a lot of people that didn’t want me here at halftime. … This is my home. This is my community.”
* Jones on LSU firing Les Miles: “I have a tremendous among of respect for him.”
* “We spoke about explosive plays this offseason. We knew we needed more.” … Said receivers (specifically Josh Malone and Jauan Jennings) “consistency in practice” has “translated to the game.”
* “Derek Barnett is relentless. … He’s driven for greatness. He demands perfection and he wants to be as good as he can be.”