Tennessee is looking to close out the Class of 2018 on a high note. The Vols could see anywhere between 6-8 commitments on National Signing Day. The biggest names to watch out for will be linebacker Quay Walker and cornerback Isaac Taylor-Stuart. The Vols have been in hot pursuit of both, and each would fill a need on a defense in need of an overhaul. Linebacker commit JJ Peterson likely will sign with the Vols, but nothing is ever a given when it comes to recruiting.
Tennessee recruiting updates, signee tracker for National Signing Day
For some mobile viewers, a better reading experience can be found here.
• 3:01 p.m.: Cornerback Taiyon Palmer chooses NC State over Tennessee. Isaac Taylor-Stuart is the final top cornerback left on the Vols board. He will announce at 5:15 p.m. ET.
• 2:37 p.m.: Wide receiver Jacob Copeland chooses Flordia over the Vols and Alabama. This was the expected decision. Tennessee took their shot but never could gain enough traction.
• 2:15 p.m.: Tight end Glenn Beal picks Texas A&M. The Vols were not a leader heading into the decision, but the coaching staff was pushing for him. Tennessee does have two tight end signees in Jacob Warren andDominickk Wood-Anderson.
• 1:25 p.m.: Tennessee holds onto linebacker JJ Peterson. This was imperative for the Vols after Quay Walker chose Georgia earlier in the day.
• 12:08 p.m.: Tennessee commit Jordan Young officially flips to Florida State. He had changed his bio to read “Florida State wide receiver” over the weekend. The Vols had lost the momentum, and it’s a loss for the coaching staff. Tennessee discovered Young after his senior season after not much attention on the recruiting trail.
• 11:50 a.m.: Linebacker Quay Walker picks Georgia over the Vols. This one has to the sting the coaching staff. Tennessee was the leader heading into this past weekend when Walker took an official visit to Athens, Ga. It is now imperative the Vols hold on to JJ Peterson.
• 11:00 a.m.: Tennessee adds Chattanooga, Tenn., safety Joseph Norwood to the class. The 6-foot-1, 170-pound prospect will likely have to put on some more size, but he has plenty of potential.
• 10:45 a.m.: Tennessee gets a wide receiver commitment from Cedric Tillman. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound receiver is an under-the-radar prospect who picked up a Vol offer on Sunday.
• 10:26 a.m.: Commitment No. 2 of the day for the Vols. Safety Trevon Flowers chooses Tennessee over Clemson. This is another good get for Pruitt and the coaching staff.
• 10:20 a.m.: Cornerback Patrick Surtain Jr. picks Alabama over LSU. This is important because it takes the Crimson Tide out of the running for Isaac Taylor-Stuart. USC is now the primary threat to land Taylor-Stuart; it’s time to monitor how the Trojans’ class shakes out. LSU might look to take Tennessee target Glenn Beal at this point, too.
• 10:12 a.m.: Tennessee gets its first commitment of the day. Defensive end John Mincey chooses the Vols over South Carolina.
• 9:45 a.m.: This will be an interesting one to monitor. It seems there is some fear Florida-lean Jacob Copeland might sign with Tennessee. This would be a major get for Pruitt and his staff.
Some worry in Gainesville that Jacob Copeland could choose #Vols, we will see.
— Mike Farrell (@rivalsmike) February 7, 2018
• 9:32 a.m.: Cornerback Eddie Smith chooses Alabama. This was expected, but the Vols were close to a leader about a month ago. Corner is a huge hole right now.
•7:23 a.m.: Running back C’bo Flemister flips from Georgia Tech to Notre Dame. This was expected, but Flemister held off signing during the early period because of interest from Tennessee. Vols couldn’t close the deal and likely won’t sign another running back in the Class of 2018.
• 7:11 a.m.: Running back Anthony Grant flips his commitment to Florida State. The coaching staff wanted him but it was always an uneasy relationship. The flip isn’t surprising. I don’t know where another running back will come from at this point.
• First prospect to watch on Signing Day will be Tennessee commit Anthony Grant. He is announcing his decision at 7 a.m. ET between the Vols, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Florida State. My guess is he won’t choose Rocky Top.
Projected Tennessee signees on National Signing Day
* denotes already signed
- DE Greg Emerson, 4 stars, Jackson, Tenn.*
- DT Brant Lawless, 4 stars, Nashville, Tenn.*
- WR Alontae Taylor, 4 stars, Manchester, Tenn.*
- T Jerome Carvin, 4 stars, Cordova, Tenn.*
- TE Dominick Wood-Anderson, 4 stars, Spring Valley, Calif.*
- OLB JJ Peterson, 4 stars, Moultrie, Ga.
- DE Jordan Allen, 4 stars, Fairfield, Calif.*
- S Trevon Flowers, 3 stars, Tucker, Ga.
- DE John Mincey, 3 stars, Homerville, Ga.
- WR Cedric Tillman, 3 stars, Las Vegas, Nev.
- S Joesph Norwood, 3 stars, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- T Jahmir Johnson, 3 stars, Philadelphia*
- RB Jeremy Banks, 3 stars, Cordova, Tenn.*
- QB JT Shrout, 3 stars, Newhall, Calif.*
- DT Kingston Harris, 3 stars, Bradenton, Fla.*
- TE Jacob Warren, 3 stars, Knoxville, Tenn.*
- G Ollie Lane, 3 stars, Corryton, Tenn.*
- T Tanner Antonutti, 3 stars, Nashville, Tenn.*
- P Paxton Brooks, 3 stars, West Columbia, S.C.*
Commitment times for Tennessee targets on National Signing Day
- Anthony Grant, 3-star RB: 7 a.m. ET (Committed: Florida State)
- Eddie Smith, 3-star CB: 9 a.m ET (Committed: Alabama)
- John Mincey, 3-star DE: 1o a.m. ET (Committed: Tennessee)
- Trevon Flowers, 3-star S: 10 a.m. ET (Committed: Tennessee)
- Quay Walker, 4-star OLB: 11 a.m. ET (Committed: Georgia)
- Glenn Beal, 3-star TE, New Orleans: 1 p.m. ET (Committed: Texas A&M)
- Olaijah Griffin, 5-star CB: 1 p.m. ET hour on ESPN2 (Committed: USC)
- Jacob Copeland, 4-star WR: 1 p.m. ET hour on ESPN2 (Committed: Florida)
- Taiyon Palmer, 4-star CB: 2 p.m. ET (Committed: N.C. State)
- Emmit Gooden, 4-star DT: 3:30 p.m. ET (West Virginia, Arkansas)
- JJ Peterson, 4-star OLB: TBD (Committed: Tennessee)
- Jordan Young, 3-star WR: TBD (Committed: Florida State)