Tennessee bowl projections: Florida coming into focus
Tennessee’s hopes for a warm-weather bowl destination stayed intact, just barely, thanks to a 27-24 win over South Carolina last Saturday.
Had the Vols lost to the Gamecocks, there would have been little – if any – chance the Vols could be bowling in Florida. Tennessee will still have to win out for consideration by the Florida bowls. That shouldn’t a problem this week with lowly North Texas on the schedule.
After that, the Vols will travel to Missouri and host Vanderbilt. An 8-4 record could certainly get the Vols to Florida. However, there are other bowl committees hungry to secure the Vols.
Here are some bowl projections:
- CBSSports.com (Jerry Palm) — Liberty Bowl (Memphis, Tenn.) vs. Kansas State
- CollegeFootballNews.com (Pete Fiutak) — Liberty Bowl vs. West Virginia
- CollegeSportsMadness.com — Belk Bowl (Charlotte, N.C.) vs. North Carolina
- ESPN (Mark Schlabach) — Belk Bowl vs. North Carolina
- ESPN (Brett McMurphy) — Music City Bowl (Nashville, Tenn.) vs. Penn State
- SaturdayDownSouth.com (Brad Crawford) — Outback Bowl (Tampa, Fla.) vs. Michigan
- SBNation.com (Jason Kirk) — Outback Bowl vs. Northwestern
- SportingNews.com (Bill Bender) — Belk Bowl vs. Duke