What Tennessee coach Butch Jones said after Vols’ 45-7 loss to Alabama
Tennessee lost its fourth SEC game of the season Saturday in the 45-7 loss to Alabama.
Coach Butch Jones addressed the media following the loss.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his news conference.
- On mistakes: “When you play a team like Alabama, every mistake you make is magnified. I thought we came out and did some good things. We can’t make mistakes and extend drives for them.”
- On offensive struggles: “Alabama has been doing that to everyone. It is a talented defense, but that is no excuse. We are not executing in goal-line situations. They controlled the line of scrimmage all day.”
- On Rashaan Gaulden’s penalty: “That is unacceptable and will be dealt with. He understands that.”
- On hands-to-the-face penalty: “It extended the drive. I’ll know more when I see the video.”
- On Jashon Robertson: “He came off the field limping. I’ll know more when we get home.”
- On Daniel Bituli’s touchdown: “It means a lot to Daniel. He’s been battling through injuries. He continues to get better. That touchdown and the effort was great to see.”
- On Hail Mary attempt at end of first half: “Just trying to manage the game and run the clock down to one play.”
- On Shawn Shamburger’s first start: “He was forced to grow up. He did some really good things and things to build on. He’s very competitive.”
- On Jarrett Guarantano: “He showed a lot of toughness. We have to do a better job with our rhythm to get open. He showed grit.”
NEXT Tennessee football stock report: Offensive plunge continues in 45-7 loss at Alabama