LEXINGTON, Ky. — Tennessee held a 5-point lead in the last few minutes against Kentucky, but it wasn’t enough to pull out the victory, though. Kentucky quarterback Stephen Johnson scored with 33 seconds in the Wildcats’ 29-26 victory.
Tennessee coach Butch Jones addressed the media after the loss.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his news conference.
- Opening statement: “We didn’t capitalize on our turnovers. We weren’t able to capitalize on our good field position. We couldn’t stop the quarterback on the zone read. Nine penalties is inexcusable, and that’s on me. It all falls on my shoulders.”
- On turnover margin: “To come away with six points is inexcusable.”
- On unsportsmanlike on the whole team: “It happened early in the game. They told me any more unsportsmanlike, they would be ejected.”
- On running backs: “All three stepped up. They all did a great job. They all did an exceptional job.”
- On Ty Chandler: “It was important for him to step up. We’ve said we need to get him more involved.”
- On the health of the program: “Was that a team that quit? No. That team battled. We are making too many mistakes, but this team has not given up. There is a lot of pride in the locker room.”
- On breakdowns: “Penalties are inexcusable. Presnap penalties are catastrophic. We can not have that.”
- On expecting support from John Currie: “Absolutely.”
- On coaching for his job: “No, I always feel like I’m coaching for my job. It’s a mindset I’ve had since Day 1.”