KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee has a 2-0 record heading into possibly the biggest game of the season against Florida Saturday.
Coach Butch Jones addressed the media Wednesday for the last time before the game.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his press conference.
- On coaching staff: It all starts with cohesiveness. We are extremely close, we are spending more time with each other than our families right now. There are no egos.
- On fast starts: We have to start fast on the road. Over half our football team has never been to the Swamp. It takes a mature football team to go down there.
- On questions at Florida’s quarterback: They are going to do what they do on offense. Regardless of who is at quarterback, they have talent surrounding him.
- On previous trips to Gainesville, Fla.: In 2013, the game was about the belief we could win the game. That has to do with the culture of the program. In 2015, we had a chance to win the game but unfortunately were not able to finish. The big thing is belief going on the road that you are going to win.
- On quarterback Quinten Dormady’s first road game: I want to see poise. The great quarterbacks have the ability to lead their teams on game-winning drives on the road.
- On playing in Gainesville: You have to prepare your mind for the humidity. It goes into your prep work throughout the week. That’s where the maturity of football team’s take over. It’s a challenge communication wise because of the noise. That’s what makes it exciting, though.
- On wide receivers: They are going to have to grow up in a hurry. It is a typical Florida defense. They are disruptive up front and really good on the backend.
- On field goal kicking competition: We’ve tried to put our kickers in stressful situations. We’ll continue to compete, and we chart everything. The competition is on-going.
- Injuries: Austin Smith, Baylen Buchanan will be out. Evan Berry is questionable.