Clocking in. pic.twitter.com/SDEdk8VUis
— Tennessee Football (@Vol_Football) January 9, 2018
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Jeremy Pruitt won’t have all the answers when he meets with the Tennessee Vols media today, but he doesn’t necessarily have to, and he knows that.
Among the first thing people will notice is that Pruitt is not going to get pressed into being anything but what and who he is — nothing more, nothing less.
That means there might be questions that go unanswered, and there may be some awkward moments of silence when someone prefaces a question with an incorrect preconceived notion.
Pruitt won’t play that.
But he also probably won’t be ready to address the quarterback situation, which will be among the most high-profile issues for the Vols as they turn toward the 2018 season.
Quarterback Quinten Dormady is the best fit for the offensive system Tennessee seems most likely inclined to run, so there will be questions about his health status and future in the program.
Receiver Jauan Jennings was dismissed from the program by the previous (interim) coaching staff with the support of the previous athletic director after a tirade-laced social media outburst.
Pruitt will be the ultimate judge on whether or not Jennings is allowed to return, and there’s no known timeline for what Tennessee’s head coach will decide.
Then there’s the injury situation — more than 80 missed starts due to injuries last season, one year after the Vols led the nation with more than 50 missed starts due to injuries.
Is it a fluke, a training issue or a toughness issue? In truth, probably a bit of each of those three things, but that’s for Pruitt to evaluate and judge for himself.
Today, the media will ask questions.
Pruitt will choose what he wants to answer, how he wants to answer and when he wants to answer with all due respect to his position, but without much regard for past public opinion.
Tennessee football podcast
SEC Country exclusive stories on Jeremy Pruitt from College Football Playoff in New Orleans and Atlanta:
- Jeremy Pruitt delivers title to Alabama, exits with Vols on his mind
- Alabama legend predicts success for Jeremy Pruitt, return to Tuscaloosa
- New Tennessee coach ready to ‘finish this thing off’ at Alabama
- Jeremy Pruitt reveals distinctive features of defensive blueprint
- Tim Tebow says Jeremy Pruitt marches to beat of his own drum
- WATCH: Alabama players say there’s more to Jeremy Pruitt than Xs and Os
- WATCH: Pruitt shares Tennessee early signing class strategy
- WATCH: Alabama star defensive lineman says Pruitt pushes right buttons
- WATCH: Clemson coordinators reveal Pruitt defensive characteristics
- WATCH: Pruitt’s Tennessee talk limited, but meaningful
- WATCH: Super Bowl assistant, Tide OC has high praise for Jeremy Pruitt
- WATCH: Can Pruitt’s defense finally slow down Clemson?
- Pruitt’s reasons for coaching Alabama go beyond title chase
- WATCH: Nick Saban shares rise of Tennessee coach Pruitt
- PODCAST: Jeremy Pruitt’s understated nature is unmistakable
- WATCH: Jeremy Pruitt: No interest in talking about dominant defense
- Jeremy Pruitt’s defense smothered Clemson, keyed Alabama win
- Alabama stock report shows Jeremy Pruitt rising after Sugar Bowl win
- Tennessee a sleeping giant with Jeremy Pruitt as coach