KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee football is just past the halfway point of spring drills, and there are more questions than answers.
First-time head coach Jeremy Pruitt is still feeling his way through the process, not exactly sure which words to use to fill the air when he doesn’t know the answers to key questions himself.
Pruitt explained earlier this spring that he wants to be sure players understand the scheme before he makes any decision on their ability. But things haven’t all been smooth
Part of the issue is that Tennessee players have had a hard time carrying knowledge over from the meetings to the field, Pruitt said. Add to that, he said, an inconsistent effort.
The Volunteers surely have made progress. Just by taking note of who has been on the practice field it’s obvious this is a healthier team than the one that finished 4-8 with another embarrassing loss to Vanderbilt.
Here are three big questions Pruitt won’t be ready to answer by the end of spring:
1. Who is the starting quarterback?
Even if the coaching staff knows — and I doubt they do at this stage — they likely won’t put that information out there for fear it could trigger a transfer.
If Jarrett Guarantano and Will McBride both elect to stay with the team, Tennessee will have four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster for the start of fall with freshman JT Shrout and Stanford graduate transfer Keller Chryst arriving by June.
2. Who is transferring out?
Pruitt has made it clear he’s not going to be proactive announcing bad news. That means this news will be learned by keeping up with players’ Twitter accounts. Players who have changed positions are always considered candidates to leave, along with players who aren’t in the first two rotations of the reps chart.
3. Will Trey Smith play this fall?
The Tennessee offensive lineman has been battling a non-orthopedic condition that has required treatment. The ailment is such that Smith’s career is in jeopardy. Pruitt has been as optimistic as possible, while still being guarded.
More Tennessee football stories
- How many football games could Vols win in 2018?
- John Currie’s fatal flaw: Not dismissing Grumors immediately
- WATCH: Jeremy Pruitt challenges cornerbacks in drill
- Volunteers’ $1.2 million offensive coordinator promises exciting offense
- Vols new CB commit Kenneth George Jr. on inspirational journey
- Peyton Manning and Jeff Brohm, unanswered questions from document dump
- Tennessee football QBs going in right direction
- Tennessee football missing 2 projected starting linebackers
- Coach Jeremy Pruitt ‘starting to like this team’
- Tennessee football playmaker Jauan Jennings back in uniform
- Tennessee football QB Jarrett Guarantano in win-win situation
- Performance-inspired relationships key for Jeremy Pruitt
- What Jeremy Pruitt said after spring practice No. 1
- Chris Weinke hire another slick move by Pruitt
- Jeremy Pruitt’s favorites, including country music and cornbread
- 8 things from 8 Tennessee football players’ pro day
- Jeremy Pruitt has put each player under microscope
- Tennessee football coordinator discusses unsettled QB situation
- Jeremy Pruitt set to create Tennessee football culture
- Distinctive features of Jeremy Pruitt’s defensive style revealed
- Tennessee football position changes set for start of spring