COLUMBIA, S.C. — Tennessee’s shocking 24-21 loss at South Carolina was filled with highs and lows Saturday night.
Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp seemed a step ahead of the Vols’ offense at every turn.
• Derek Barnett added three more sacks to his resume and now has 28 in his career. Barnett has been a force from his defensive end position.
• Punter Trevor Daniel had another strong performance, averaging 49 yards per kick.
• Tailback John Kelly provided energy with his aggressive, North-South style of running. Kelly had 94 yards on 14 carries.
• Evan Berry’s 100-yard kick return served as a reminder of how good he really is.
• The Tennessee offensive line returned all of its starters, but it struggled to get a push in short yardage and the pass protection was inadequate.
• It was a tough night for Josh Dobbs, who had a deep pass over the middle intercepted late, threw into double coverage and was picked off in the first half, and had the knocked out of his hands for a turnover at the 50 in the fourth quarter after freshman Carlin Fils-aime collided with him.
• Jalen Hurd had a disappointing night, finishing with 16 yards on eight carries. Hurd did score on a 1-yard touchdown run.
• Butch Jones needs to reconsider the offensive scheme he seems married to, as the personnel just does not support an uptempo, spread style.