KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Butch Jones and the Tennessee coaching staff have watched film of the first two practices and are taking notes.
Jones and the Vols are operating with a high sense of urgency as the season closes in, with 24 practices remaining before the Sept. 4 opener against Georgia Tech in Atlanta.
Josh Dobbs is no longer available to bail out what was an underachieving offensive line last season, and Derek Barnett has moved on to the NFL after making game-changing plays from defensive end.
According to the experts, Tennessee doesn’t have any first-team All-SEC players and the team isn’t expected to finish higher than third-place in the East Division.
Here’s a look at the headlines from opening week:
Tennessee football headlines
(Tennessee football story links)
- WR Jauan Jennings says Vols bring ‘straight fire’ into fall drills
- Georgia Tech aims to prove ACC superiority vs. Tennessee
- Peyton Manning’s advice written on coaching walls
- RB John Kelly used skateboarding to gain courage
- Butch Jones says ‘we can’t make same mistakes twice’
- DT Kahlil McKenzie says ‘it’s now or never’
- OC Larry Scott wants purpose and violence on field every day
- Vols secondary aims to go from worst to first
- Butch Jones talks up record-setting freshmen
- QB Jarrett Guarantano brings edge, hunger to fall camp
- QB Quinten Dormady a selectively assertive leader