CORDOVA, Tenn. — Tennessee tailback signee Jeremy Banks knows the most important questions ahead of him will be answered in fall camp as he looks to make an early impact.
The 6-foot-2, 221-pound runner from Cordova chose Tennessee over more than 30 other offers, determined to play football in the SEC and looking for the best fit.
Banks sat down with SEC Country at his home last week and answered several questions related to his career and recruiting.
Many of the questions came during a 36-minute live Facebook interview, but others came later in the form of a standard question-and-answer session.
Here’s how Jeremy Banks — @JeremyBanks32 — answered these questions:
1. If you could give a junior ONLY one piece of advice about the recruiting process, what would it be?
Banks: “I would tell them to be patient because your opportunities will come, and you need to work hard to be ready for them when they do come.”
2. What school came in second?
Banks: “It would have been an SEC school. It was about to be the University of Georgia, they were talking to me before Tennessee.”
3. What is the funniest thing any head coach said to you during the recruiting process, either on phone or in person?
Banks: “Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt, when we get on the phone, he’s always cracking jokes. You’re always going to get a laugh when you talk to him.”
4. Describe the impact of cost of attendance on your recruiting?
Banks: “No sir, it didn’t have any impact.”
5. Which coach was it the hardest to say no? That you weren’t coming there?
Banks: “Coach [DeShaun] Foster from UCLA. I really think he was a great guy, and if he was in the SEC, I’d have played for him, too. He gave off great energy.”
6. Which school disappointed you the most during recruiting?
Banks: “A lot of schools did, like Duke. But I was wanting to play in the SEC all along, so it didn’t matter.”
7. Which college would you have considered more seriously if they had offered you earlier in the process?
Banks: “Florida, Georgia and Alabama.”
8. How much negative recruiting was out there?
Banks: “There was a lot of negative recruiting. They said a lot of crazy stuff about Tennessee, but it didn’t matter to me, because we’re going to turn this program around.”
9. Which head coach of a team that you did not sign with was the nicest?
Banks: “Coach [Matt] Campbell at Iowa State. Coach [Jim] Mora from UCLA before he got fired.”
10. If you were in charge of the NCAA, what’s the one rule you would change with recruiting?
“I’d say let recruits take more official visits, and let players take them before their senior year.”