Tennessee only has three more practices until the spring game.
Coach Jeremy Pruitt spoke to the media after practice on Thursday about the progression of the team through the fall.
Here is a roundup from Pruitt’s Tennessee press conference:
- Opening statement: We worked a lot of special teams situation today. We’ve done a lot of drill work all spring, we are starting to do more team work. The offense performed a little better than they on Tuesday.
- On special teams: In the return game, we get caught up in the scheme. To me, the return guy makes the return. They just make the plays. We are repping a lot of guys at special teams.
- On Darrin Kirkland: Took the next step today. He’ll be back probably next week. Probably too early to tell if he’ll play in the spring game.
- On team captain: Everywhere I’ve been the captains were selected by their teammates. We’ll probably have it by the week.
- On Princeton Fant: We saw enough at linebacker that we thought he could do it in an emergency situation. I feel like he’ll have more success on offense. He’s learning how to play running back. I like the fact that he weighs 225 pounds. He’s doing fine over there.
- On Ty Chandler: All those guys, you put them out there and they have pretty good vision and speed. It’s too early to single anybody out.
- On using a fullback: We need to determine our best personnel. I wouldn’t say there are a lot of fullbacks on this team.
- On Kyle Phillips: I think he’s been willing to do whatever we’ve asked him to do.
- On Alontae Taylor: I think he can play a lot of positions. He’s going to be learning every position that we put him at. I think he’s got a lot of ability. I think we’ll do it one more day and let him scrimmage and go from there.