KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee began its second week of spring practice on Tuesday and coach Jeremy Pruitt addressed the media following.
Here is a recap of the news and notes from Pruitt’s press conference:
- On position changes: We’ll take the whole body of work. We are still installing right now. We’ll see after seven days if we want those guys to scrimmage or move them back. They are learning.
- On competition: Everyday we evaluate all four groups. We don’t have a first, second or third game. A coach can only put players on so many adverse situations. Everything we are doing is new for these guys.
- On groups standing out: Every group does some things well at times, some do things poorly at times… A lot of guys are trying to figure out the standard. We can’t go back any days.
- On roster differences from what he thought: I’m just trying to get an idea about how to go about the recruiting class. Some of the guys who came here don’t always fit where we want them.
- On defensive backs: We need them to play multiple defensive back positions. We are looking at a lot of guys in different positions.
- On the installation of a new system: The meetings are different from what they are accustomed too. They are trying to pick it up. There isn’t a lot of crossover from what they’ve done.
- On offense performing well: It’s hard to choose any one person. When everyone is on the same page, good things can happen.
- On special teams: We are doing a lot of drills right now. A lot of fundamentals.
- On knowing the team is picking up the new system: We’ll know more. There might be guys who can make the crowd now, but in a game situation maybe not. We need to know those things after some scrimmages.